Cowboy Action / Silhouette crossover?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Cowboy Action / Silhouette crossover?

Post by snaketail2 »

I've looked all over, I really have.

But there just isn't much Lever Action Silhouette where I live. I'd like to shoot more, but the closest match is 5 hours away, next is 7 hours...
I could shoot SB silhouette, and I suppose I could put a scope on my39a and shoot Hunters Class...but it isn't the same (yes, I like the big targets!).

So I was wondering if any of you know if Cowboy Action has any similar events - similar to lever action silhouette? I have a nice pair of boots and could "look the part", but if they don't have anything to offer I'm not going...

Michael
St. Louis - the lever action desert of the southwest.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Cowboy Action / Silhouette crossover?

Post by cedestech »

Cowboy Action Shooting is LARPing with firearms....

If that is your thing, it's cool... apples and grapefruit though....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I don't have a clue what that is - sounds awful!
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
ALPHAWOLF45
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ALPHAWOLF45 »

Larping is live action role playing...I'd possibly compete in it as we have a club close to me that does that but the role playing is a put-off for me.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Michael,

Are you a member of a gun club? We shoot a fantastic HP regional every year at the Benchrest Rifle Club of St. Louis, which is the finest gun club I've ever visited. If you're not a member there, you should join immediately (and immediately start shooting smallbore and high-power, which is better than Cowboy anyway).

Once you've joined, start up a monthly cowboy club match. Ask the club to buy the targets and put up the rails. Clubs can always use match directors and folks who get things done. Don't just wish for it, make it happen!

Dustin
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

If that club has highpower silhouette targets, then they just need the rails to use them at the centerfire cowboy distances to start up the centerfire cowboy matches... :)
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Jason wrote:If that club has highpower silhouette targets, then they just need the rails to use them at the centerfire cowboy distances to start up the centerfire cowboy matches... :)
That club has everything, including the best HP range I've seen. I'd join it if it wasn't 10.5 hours from my house.

Dustin
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

It is a very nice range. One of the better ranges I've been on.

I recommend it for BPCR silhouette, which is, as far as I'm concerned, the best game of all the steel critter games. I never miss their early 2-day regional early in June. They also have monthly matches. "Snake" here on steelchickens is a local shooter of that game and can fill you in, but google St. Louis Benchrest Club and you will find their website and their calendar of events.

Brent
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

My horoscope said I should not make any unnecessary comments today.
I'll respond tomorrow.

Michael
in St. Louis
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

After considering all the factors I've decided to take my shotgun to the Trap range today. I once got a medal in the senior olympics for Trap - perhaps its time to see if my Browning still works.

I'm quite familiar with all the ranges and matches around St. Louis. At the Bench Rest Club, Bob (Snake) runs a fun, although limited, CLA match and we may get SB Rifle Silhouette back this fall - maybe.

I inquired about attending a Cowboy Action match as a spectator and was told, "you have to be a member to get through the gate." Guess they aren't looking for any new members!

We're having an awfully nice August - the high today will be in low 70s. Seems like good shotgun weather to me.

Michael
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

The one thing you can count on is that you will never have lever gun matches (or any other matches) if no one is willing to be the match director and run the show.

Dustin
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Amen to that Dustin! I have come to the conclusion the only way I'm going to get out of running matches is to die.
Hey at least I have something to look forward to in the after life. With my luck I'll wind up in pergitory as a match director!!!!!!

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

cslcAl wrote:Amen to that Dustin! I have come to the conclusion the only way I'm going to get out of running matches is to die.
Hey at least I have something to look forward to in the after life. With my luck I'll wind up in pergitory as a match director!!!!!!

Al Foust
You are stuck running the matches because you are interested in them happening and you are one of those few that will get out and get things done. Generally, the shooters that enjoy the sport the most are the ones who are interested enough to volunteer some of their time and energy into making sure there are matches to shoot. The other shooters who dont really like it that much and don't really care are not going to be running matches.

Dustin
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Then again you hear, "We're a Bench Rest Club, not a silhouette club, end if discussion." I was ready to join, but why bother when there is no hope of adding the matches I like. Even the Small Bore Rifle match director seems to have left the building.

I tried to shoot air gun at the club across the river - "put your gun in the back seat, make sure it has a trigger lock and make sure the gun case is locked and carry put ammo in a locked container in the trunk." But that's Illinois!

The Trap range was very welcoming and asked if I'd like to shoot in a match this weekend. Sounds like fun!

It isn't from lack of trying - its from a lack of agreeable facilities. (Thats OK, we're house hunting in Florida in Texas next month...I hear they shoot in those places.)

Michael