Bullet Weight

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
SSShooter
B Poster
B Poster

Bullet Weight

Post by SSShooter »

Will a 117gr bullet with an MV of ~2200fps "reliably" knock over the rams? Have an opportunity to pick up a nice, old 1894 in 25-35WCF and don't really want to use up my $$ if it isn't going to work.
How about the 45LC. Will it 'do the job' on full-size rams at 200m? If you can't tell, I'm new to the CLA 200m game.
Thanks.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Bullet Weight

Post by snaketail2 »

I can't speak to the 25-35, but I can say that I've lost a Ram with a 170r load in my 30-30. I've hear of people having success with that cartridge, but haven't personally seen it in action.

The .45 Colt - if you can live with rainbow trajectory at 200 meters - then you can take them down. I has fair success with 255gr LRNFP over 20r of 4227. A hit anywhere on the ram would take it. I used the same load for Pistol Cartridge matches and moved into AA with that load...only to replace it with a 25-20. In all fairness there are better choices for either.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

SSshooter, the short answer to your 25-35 question is no. I shot one for a year including the Nationals and I lost a lot of Rams.
The other problem right now is Hornady quit making the jacketed 117 bullet and doesn't plan on making them ever again. This info comes from a well known shooter who talked to Steve Hornady personally.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
SSShooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by SSShooter »

Thanks. Was a little leary on the 25cal. Looks like the 30-30, 32WS or 38-55 is the 'easy way out' (smart choice) on the cartridge.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I'm the USA Shooting Sports "reporter" that covered the Lever Action Silhouette Nationals in Raton this summer. The majority of shooters were using 30-30, #2 was 38-55. There was a few .357s and at least one .45 Colt shooting the long line. The top winner was shooting a 30-30.

If I were starting over - and believe me, this is well thought out (read that as well pair-for) - I'd get a good Marlin 39a first. I'd use it for Small Bore and Pistol Cartridge until I got good enough to need a "bigger" cartridge for Pistol Cartridge. If you drop all the chickens, pigs and turkeys and ring all the rams you'll still shoot a AAA score!

Then I'd look for a .22 magnum, .25-20, .32-20 or .357 for pistol cartridge

When I got ready for a CLA rifle I'd stay with Marlin - most silhouette shooters like those with 24" barrels and without a barrel bands.

But, for a new shooter I do suggest getting a nice 39a and use it until you start out-shooting it - mine is one of my favorite rifles.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
SSShooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by SSShooter »

While the Marlin 39A is a nice rifle, I'll just have to suffer along with my pair of old Marlin Model 1897s. ;)

Think I'm interested in shooting BP rather than smokeless (I'm a BPCR & BPTR shooter), so will likely go for the 38cal as the larger bore is easier to clean. Was thnking that 32WinSpl might be a good round, but starting over with another bottle-neck cartridge in BP is not what I want.