.451 or .454?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ShooterP14
AA Poster
AA Poster

.451 or .454?

Post by ShooterP14 »

I am in the final stages of locating a CLA in 45 Long Colt for the center fire leg of a match (I'm using .357 for the PC). I read in one of my reloading manuals that rifles manufactured before WWII use .454 and after use .451 (.452 lead). Did I read that correctly? I was wondering what others are using and what the vintage was on their rifle. Is anyone using .454 in a newer rifle? I will be using cast bullets for practice and local matches and jacketed for larger matches.

-Pat-
The Wonderful White Winged Warrior - He's Everywhere! He's Everywhere!
w30wcf
B Poster
B Poster

Re: .451 or .454?

Post by w30wcf »

Pat,
My Marlin .45 Colt Cowboy rifle as a .4525" groove dia. and.454" diameter bullets shoot well. I have even tried .456" dia (original .45 Colt bullet dia.) and they shoot just as good if not even better.

Even if my rifle had a .451" groove, I would definitely go with the .454" bullets.

w30wcf
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

P14- I used to shoot a Rossi .45 Colt and it shot significantly better with .454 bullets.
The smaller .452 would lead the barrel and the loss of accuracy over a 40-round match was obvious.
Older rifles may benefit from the slightly larger bullet.
It won't damage your rifle to try the .002 larger bullet - try it and see it it helps.

Michael
Ex-Rossi owner
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
ShooterP14
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShooterP14 »

snaketail2 wrote:P14- I used to shoot a Rossi .45 Colt
How did you like your Rossi? A local dealer is trying to talk me out of buying one and get a Henry instead. He is claiming that if if breaks, you can't get parts. I would get the Henry if I had an $800 budget (Gun, sights, dies, etc.) but I don't right now. I may end up with a cheap 30-30 until I can afford the .45LC Henry.

-Pat-
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

My cheap .30-30 hold multiple National Records.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

ShooterP14 wrote:
snaketail2 wrote:P14- I used to shoot a Rossi .45 Colt
How did you like your Rossi?

The Rossi was OK - I put a new trigger in it and it went from a 6 to 8 pounder to about 1 pound - I learned not to put my finger anywhere near the trigger if I didn't want it to go off. Check the Cowboy Action web sites for details instructions on this. Don't know about getting replacement parts - what did you expect to break? Henry's are fine, more expensive, but Tim Lee says they have triggers you can improve.

I understand your position. I was there not long ago. I wanted to shoot, and wanted "any gun" that would work. I'd suggest you save your money and get the rifle you want - it may take a while longer, but the results will be worth the wait. that way you don't have to buy a gun twice.

Until then - use a 39a for SB and PC matches. And save up for a Marlin.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
ShooterP14
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShooterP14 »

Snaketail-

Thanks for the input. I'm glad you're having good luck with your Rossi. I like the fact that the Rossi is about $200 less than the others. I don't mind buying a gun "twice" if I come into a windfall and can afford a Henry later down the road. I have a Henry .22 (and I'm shooting in the low to mid 20's with it). I also have a Marlin in .357 for the pistol cartridge (currently out for repair). If I get a cheap 30-30 "fixer upper" I can also use it for hog hunting (another activity I want to get into). Heaven forbid I should have too many guns. :D

I have a local dealer looking on the used market for me. If he doesn't come up with something in the next week or so I'll be revaluating my options.

-Pat-