side / fun match

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

side / fun match

Post by glen ring »

Jeanne and i are considering having a SB and PC match in October and we are toying with the idea of a side/ fun match.

Which sounds like more fun..PC targets with a PC legal lever gun out to 200 meters , or Smallbore ( 1/5th ) scale targets out to 100 meters with a legal 22 lever gun ?
Just Be Nice **==
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Re: side / fun match

Post by jbolt »

They both sound fun but some may have trouble getting their PC sights out to 200.

Have you ever tried wrong-hand off-hand? Rightys shoot lefty and visa versa. Tons of fun and a hoot to watch.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

glen ring wrote:Which sounds like more fun..PC targets with a PC legal lever gun out to 200 meters , or Smallbore ( 1/5th ) scale targets out to 100 meters with a legal 22 lever gun ?
My experience with side matches for fun is that it's much more fun if the shooters already have sight setting for whichever distances you are shooting the fun match. Otherwise, you're going to have a bunch of shooters struggling to get sight settings before the match and it's going to kill the "fun" spirit of the match.

That said, of the two you listed, I think the 1/5 targets would be better than the other game. But, I also believe that these side matches are more fun if they are fewer shots than a regular match. Shooting a 40-shot match on 1/5 scale targets is not much fun for the regular shooters. I've shot my SBCB rifle on 1/5 targets at regular smallbore matches and it's tedious (I liked it, but I like shooting almost anything). Both of those games are basically a regular match where the shooters will hit far fewer targets - not likely to be a big hit.

At the Winnsboro Open, we shoot two side matches after the Saturday regular matches. They are both considerably shorter and way different than a regular match and they are VERY popular.

Dustin
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

We had a little fun match at our range a while back based on the Tres Banditos event you sometimes see at smallbore matches. I described it here

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8011&p=64430&hilit=banditos#p64430

We shot at CLA distances, but it works just as well at SB & PC distances. We have also thrown a dollar in the pot for a shot at a chicken at 200 meters.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I'm gonna hold out for PC targets and a 20 round slug-gun match.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."