New Winchester 1873 in 357

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

New Winchester 1873 in 357

Post by ter »

Local dealer has a new Miroku Winchester 1873 in 38/357 with 24 inch barrel. It is D/T for tang sights. How do these shoot? Good choice for silhouette?
Fojibarru
Unclassified Poster

Re: New Winchester 1873 in 357

Post by Fojibarru »

More knowledge is very good.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Short answer - because I don't have personal knowledge of that rifle:
*Barrel length is ideal - the longer sight radius is what you want
*Caliber is very good for Pistol cartridge, so-so for CLA
*I believe Winchester has a 1-in-30 twist rate - OK for light bullets, but not so great for heavy bullets (the ones you'll need for 200 meter rans)
*Winchester 73 - The gun that won the west - if you like that look go for it. The 2105 national champion won at Raton with an Italian version of that rifle.
*Winchester is better than Rossi, Marlin is better than Winchester, Ubertis are expensive, but so are .357 Marlins.
*I like tang sights - are the holes for Marbles sights? - Measure before you buy a sight for it.
Although I've never shot one but, I have lost to them in matches...

Marlins have more after-market goodies - triggers, springs, etc. My 1894 Winchester has a heavy trigger and there isn't much I can do about it (finding a gunsmith who knows how to lighten a Winchester trigger has been a real challenge for my part of the country).

In my opinion - the 73 winchester looks nice, I don't like the twist rate, you can expect a heavy trigger, but a good price is hard to ignore.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Freiostry
Unclassified Poster

Post by Freiostry »

All you have helped me always.
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

The Winchester website shows the 1873 in 357 with a 18.75" barrel twist.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... amily=027C

Jay
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

snaketail2 wrote:
*Winchester is better than Rossi, Marlin is better than Winchester, Ubertis are expensive, but so are .357 Marlins.
I wouldn't touch the new Marlin / Remington's. Older Marlins are great. Rossi's can be a bit rough out of the box but tune up nicely.

Jay
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

jbolt wrote:
snaketail2 wrote:
I wouldn't touch the new Marlin / Remington's. Older Marlins are great. Rossi's can be a bit rough out of the box but tune up nicely.

Jay
I have to agree on the marlins not a patch on the new Japanese Winchester.... :ymdevil: :(( :ymdevil: