25-20 bullets?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 25-20 bullets?

Post by snaketail2 »

Joe:
Yes, lube is the problem. A fellow on the Marlin Owners site removed the lube from the "top" groove and says it improves accuracy in 85gr cast bullets. But you still have to gently push them down the bore. The "coated" bullets will let you run 'em a bit faster, but only a little. Jacketed is the way to go.

At the Texas State match there was a fellow shooting his 25-20 at CLA targets. He rang four rams, knocked over the 5th, and had no problem with the others.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 25-20 bullets?

Post by boats »

Am using Missouri bullets 85 gr lead in my 25/20. It's a good choice considering the availability of other bullets. I had to tweak my loading dies to get a good seat without deforming the bullet. Most sets intended for jackated bullets over size 25/20's Am using a ring neck sizer now.

So far 6.5 of 4227 is the right charge, 7 grs may be better but am getting good long run results with the 6.5 gr charge. Last week shot 40 offhand practice on paper painted silhouettes CPTR then benched the gun for 10 shots on a bulls eye target at 100 Meters, last 10 shots gave a nice round group about 4 inches no flyers. Rough rest iron sights that's about the guns potential. Scope it, use a proper rest may get another inch out of the gun. Main thing is it keeps consistent point of impact long runs. It’s a original Marlin with a very good bore.

Don't want to mess with my zeros bumping the powder charge right now. Get some time to work on it will load 50 with 7 grs see how they do on paper offhand actual match distances with a bench test end of the 40 shot run. Probably chronograph it same time.

Side note I don't use fillers. Lot of internet talk about how they work but, serious Schuetzen shooters using 4227 and cast bullets never use fillers in the case. Accuracy required in that game is extreme bench rest and offhand. Based on how it shoots in Single Shot matches I trust 4227 without fillers. But some swear by fillers and may have the same good results.

Boats