Question of Legality

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Leupoldd1
Unclassified Poster

Question of Legality

Post by Leupoldd1 »

A friend of mine has recently shown an interest in CLA. Currently he's shooting small bore with a Marlin 39a, and he wants to try his hand at Pistol Cartridge. He located a Miroku made Winchester 1873 with case-hardened receiver and 24" octagonal barrel in .357. Before he makes the purchase, we want to ensure that this gun can legally be drilled and tapped to accept a receiver sight like a Williams or perhaps a Redfield 75. Is there a problem from a rule's standpoint that would prohibit him doing so? Additionally, would the sideplate be able to handle the sight? Thank you.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Question of Legality

Post by cedestech »

Yes you can D&T but is there enough meat on the receiver? I have a Rossi 92 I'd love to D&T but there isn't enough meat where the sight needs to go. Tang may be a better option.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

If the serial number is on the tang and you decide to drill there, make sure the gun smith doesn't obliterate any of the numbers or letters in the serial number. It's a common mistake, but it can cause a big problem.
Just Be Nice **==
Cimarron Red
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Cimarron Red »

The Winchester/Miroku 1873's are drilled and tapped for a tang sight:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... mid=534229
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Wow that is a beautiful gun, If you got the bucks go for it. Nothing wrong with a Tang sight just have to adjust your hold a little around the stock. I'd be hesitant to drill into the receiver because of the value lost in not having a original piece.
ppkny
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

I shoot a Cimarron '73 in 32-20 for pcla. I put a set of Lee Shaver Soule sights on the tang. I really like them a lot.
I did have to have one hole D&T in the tang on my rifle, yours may not have to be. Call Lee Shaver and they can tell you what sight you need.
I liked them enough that I put a set on my 45 LC '73 as well. The "Econo Sight" is the way to go for CLA. They have plenty of adjustability for what we do.
Around $225.00

Kevin O
Leupoldd1
Unclassified Poster

Post by Leupoldd1 »

Hattrix, are there any restrictions to using a vernier style sight for CLA? My friend was leaning toward a Marbles Tang Sight, but saw a Pedersoli he thought might fit the bill. At least it's preferable to D&T the receiver. Before he makes the purchase, we want to be certain it's legal for the game. Thank you to all who responded. I will contact Lee Shaver on Monday as well. Matt
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Some of the guys here have removed the dust cover and modified a Weaver scope base so it can be attached to the top of the receiver. Then a Williams receiver sight that can be used with that base can be installed.
I'll try and get a picture of this set up.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

Matt,
I don't know of any "restrictions" on this style of sight. I do know that both of mine as well as dozens of others just like it, made it thru Tech at the nationals with out any question.
Kevin
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Hattrix wrote:Matt,
I don't know of any "restrictions" on this style of sight.
No Olympic or International style sights.... Veneer tang and normal reciever mounted OK.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Pictures as promised
image.jpg
image.jpg
Now having looked close at this, I don't see why you couldn't just drill and tap for the top mount Williams that fits the Marlin scope holes.

Al Foust
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Team Sierra Member