Williams sight screw

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Williams sight screw

Post by glen ring »

Jeanne and I shoot light loads in our 30-30 xlrs . The elevation screw on our williams FP-TK sights isn't long enough for the 200 yard rams. I contacted brownells and a tech advised me that the FPTK sights come with the long screw. Does anyone have a solution ? When we set the sight at about 15 the screw no longer is useful.
Thanks Glen
Just Be Nice **==
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Williams sight screw

Post by Grizz61 »

The first thing you might try is replacing the front sight with a shorter one. Depending on how much more elevation you need and if you can get the rear sight low enough for Chickens. Sorry I did not see your guns last week to know if that would work for you. I know traditionally the newer marlin have fairly tall front blades, but do not know if you are using it have already replaced it.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

We have the lowest globe sight available and to get it any lower we'd need to remove the factory ramp and dovetail the sight in the barrel.
Just Be Nice **==
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

glen ring wrote:We have the lowest globe sight available and to get it any lower we'd need to remove the factory ramp and dovetail the sight in the barrel.
Thats exactly what I did with my 39A. I almost ran out of elevation just getting to chickens, so instead of holding over I popped the ramp off and had a dovetail milled in. Brownells does sell just a longer screw, no need to buy the full sight.

All of the different knobs/screws seem to be listed here.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 27362.aspx
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

The longer screw is already in the FPTK sight. I thought there might be an after market item available.
Just Be Nice **==
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

The easy solution is to adopt a flatter shooting round. There are no other known elevation screws out there. I suppose you could have the sight mounting holes lowered to effectively raise the sight height.
- Joe
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

glen ring wrote:The longer screw is already in the FPTK sight. I thought there might be an after market item available.
Brownells sell a front sight for Marlins thats higher and puts the FPTK in the center of the sight range.it is a dovetail that goes where existing 39A sight.
by milling another dovetail you made the sight even lower,use the existing ramp.
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

i forgot to mention that this is a square post,i also reverse the post so i look at the square side and not the ramp,gives the look of a T/C contender partridge post that i was use to.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Lowering the front sight raises the impact of the bullet which lets you NOT run out of elevation changes in the rear sight. So removing the ramp out from under the front sight post would help the OP in this case.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
TPMO
Unclassified Poster

Post by TPMO »

Glen some fp-tk come with the short screw. The long one is 1.4 inches . Brownell's part no. 962-157-240 Tom P
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I've swapped out the elevation screws on a couple of my FPTK sights for the longer ones as they came with shorter screws. I have even swapped out the upper section of the sight on one, as having the screw longer doesn't help if the sight body isn't in the dovetail enough to lock in correctly.
AddictedToSB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AddictedToSB »

glen ring wrote:The longer screw is already in the FPTK sight. I thought there might be an after market item available.
Whomever told you this may be wrong. I saw the same thing on Brownell's, so I spoke to Williams directly about my FPTK for a 39A and they sold me a longer one, which I later found out is the same one Brownell's sells as a long elevation screw. I actually had to cut 1/8" off it to get the best adjustment range.
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

The comments seen to all be good. There are two screw lengths and you may have the short one. Check it and call Williams and maybe just order the longer one. If you already have the longer one then just fabricate a riser and put in under the rear sight. I shoot a 45/70 and could not get the elevation either. I simply made a little riser out of aluminum and put it under the FP rear sight. I sprayed it flat black so you don't even notice it.
Richard
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I called Williams and they have sent the longer elevation screw...it did the trick.
Just Be Nice **==