high velocity sb ammo

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: high velocity sb ammo

Post by glen ring »

No guarantees in this sport. I have spun, but not knocked down, small-bore chickens with 1200fps ammo and have knocked over Pistol cartridge rams with subsonic 22lr. It happens..but if your gun likes a particular ammo much better than others shoot it and I think the average will be much more predictable.
Just Be Nice **==
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Tim,
The wet steel on steel has increased friction from water surface tension. I suggest you hand wax each target's feet and rail to eliminate this variable and make the match more enjoyable for your participants =))
- Joe
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

edgehit wrote:Tim,
The wet steel on steel has increased friction from water surface tension. I suggest you hand wax each target's feet and rail to eliminate this variable and make the match more enjoyable for your participants =))
Yeah, I'll jump right on that task (right after I reorganize my sock drawer)... :-bd In other words; "bring enough bullet"...

It rained on us pretty hard on and off yesterday, but I only heard of a few hits that didn't fall. I saw 2 for the guy I was spotting for that was using Eley Sport ammo (1 rear leg hit and one edge hit). I actually saw turned chickens more than Rams rung though. I spun one with MiniMags 180degrees and it cost me AAA class ~x(

Actually you're probably onto something with the surface tension.... We used to have an issue with SmallBore thickness halfscale turkeys doing the old "weathervane thing" on the rails in certain windy conditions, but we can cure that by painting the pad and/or foot underside. When dry it provides enough resistance to prevent them from turning, but not so much that they won't fall easily when hit.

- Tim
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Tim:
I have some old, and some new, Winchester 42gr bullets - If you'll shoot 'em (exclusively) next week you can have them for free. See you on Sunday.

Michael
Last edited by snaketail2 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

snaketail2 wrote:Tim:
I have some one, and some new, Winchester 42gr bullets - If you'll shoot 'em (exclusively) next week you can have them for free. See you on Sunday.

Michael

Thanks much Michael! We'll see you in Raton.

- Tim
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

One of our guys complained that I was setting and painting targets too fast before he could see them. He shoots about a 25 each time. I advised him when he starts shooting a 38 or 39 I'll personally set the targets for him. Now just shoot.
Just Be Nice **==
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

When he starts shooting 38s and 39s he won't need to see them. I think that might be his point. ;)
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I personally like to spend hours shooting and chronographing my 22 ammo to ascertain the correct temp that it performs best at..then I consider what altitude I'm shooting at, the air density and at what number of rounds in my 22 that start to foul the bore and slow down the bullet.. The amount of protein and beer I consumed the night before and divide that all by the bullet's ballistic coefficient , multiply that by pie and then determine what's the best sandwich that the food wagon is serving.

I'm with Joe. Just shoot and have fun. If any of us did this for a living there would be far fewer big belly boys on the firing line.
Just Be Nice **==
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Even a poor shooter like me has more fun when he is doing his best and knows that he has a good zero on his rifle.

See you in Raton.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

At the Nationals in Raton Jeanne rang a ram and I rang a ram with a hit to the lower front leg. The ones I hit in the body went down. All the rams I saw hit in the afternoon went down with subsonic. I'm not a contender for any title, but if I were a better shot in the upper levels I'd use 1200fps rounds on rams if they shot well.One animals could mean the difference to the top level guys. To me...not so much.
Just Be Nice **==