starting point for sb sight settings

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

starting point for sb sight settings

Post by rr1220 »

Trying to get a starting point for sight settings each animal , 9422 with Williams rear Lyman front,standard velocity and high velocity would be helpful
Thanks
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: starting point for sb sight settings

Post by snaketail2 »

Interesting question!
First off - what works for me may not work for you - would be surprised if it did. But, having said that I can get you "in the ball park"
I use Federal AutoMatch - 1200fps and these setting on my Williams FPTK sight. I try (try) to leave my sight set at the Chicken setting - call it "0"
Chickens - 40 meters = 0 Elevation
Pigs - 50 meters = 0 Elevation
Turkeys - 75 meters = + 12 clicks up
Rams - 100 meters = + 10 more clicks up
Back down 26 clicks to the Chicken setting

I blatantly stole an idea from Tommy Perry - I put a piece of tape, with a thin line on it, across the hash marks on my Williams sight, then split it down the seam between the moving and non-moving part. Now I can tell at a glance if my sight is set for chickens or not.
Michael
williams sight.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by snaketail2 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

You must have a different sight than I do, although they are the same model etc. If I bottom out my williams sight on my 39A its 40 clicks up just to get to chickens. And a total of 114 clicks to Rams. I use sk standard plus for cpt and sk high velocity for rams. I like the idea of taping off and drawing lines. That would save me some serious counting.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuck d »

I count revs. Counting clicks, with as many needed in the SB game is way too hard. Bottomed, its 10 revs to chickens for me, 2 more for rams.
chuck
dgslyr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dgslyr »

For the last 8 years I also put tape on the sight but do not draw a line .I just line up the top edge 's of the tape.I also use white finger nail polish to put a dot on the knob and the sight bridge.20 clicks to the revolution on a Williams FPTK.I zero on the pigs and depending on the ammo use the same setting for chickens.With most High velocity 22 ammo its 20 clicks or one turn to the turkeys.Depending on the ammo 20 or 30 clicks or another turn to a turn and a half to the rams.Or something in between.With standard velocity,the zero on the pigs is somewhere else and its 30 clicks to the turkey's and usually 30 more to the rams.Most of the time depending on the ammo.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I'm surprised more shooters do no use sights with vernier scales on them. Seems a lot easier and safer than counting clicks. Of course, often get confused when forced to count about 10, esp when wearing shoes :)
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I wish I were a good enough shot and had the concentration to count clicks..I ..I usually get lost while counting. I use Williams sights and just count lines on the sight. When I sight in standing at 40 yards my count is usually one line up for each animal after that ...with sub sonic ammo. On my wife's 39 she has a Lyman globe front and an Al Foust fiber optic insert. She has a Williams 5d rear sight and her settings are 16, 17, 18 and 19 with subsonic ammo. Variables like barrel length, sight height and you make it mandatory you sight in your rifle for you STANDING. I was getting into the gadget and doodad overthinking game a few years ago...and then watched Lon Pennington take a very old , taped up, rusty looking 22 and kick the crap out of most of us. Find what ammo it likes, spend time at the range on paper getting good sight settings and have fun.
Just Be Nice **==