Marlin 39 Trigger

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Marlin 39 Trigger

Post by chuck d »

Who or where is there a 'smith who works on Marlin Trigger?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Marlin 39 Trigger

Post by snaketail2 »

May I suggest a do-it-yourself treatment.
I replaced the hammer spring in my 39a with a "reduced-power" spring (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/841511 ... uctFinding) and found it reduced trigger pull and gave me a crisper trigger. My rifle is 1985 vintage, so it has plenty of smoothing from the thousands of rounds it has fired...you may want to (Carefully) smooth up a newer rifle.
A word of caution - if you don't know what you are doing - don't do it. It will cost more to fix a screw up that to do it right the first time. Replacing the spring is pretty easy - there are YouTube videos (long one- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5WKAsfkD48).
And you may get some miss-fires from the lighter hammer fall. Be sure to clean out the firing pin channel and lub it sparingly (or it will gum up quickly).

If you decide to go the gun-smith route I suggest you ask around at one of your local matches. Ask another CLA shooter where they get the work done...this could help avoid "Gun-plumbers."

Michael
Too much coffee this morning - sorry for droning on
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I tried the reduced power spring, and it made my trigger feel a bit better. However it lead to too many light strikes so I went back to the original.
Caveat Emptor....
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

The trigger on a 39A is very simple, but as suggested, if you are not handy/know what you are doing it may be best to pay someone. Any competent smith should be able to get it down to less then 2#'s, crispish and safe (falls into half cock if forced off sear).

I also don't recommend the reduced power spring ESPECIALLY with the rebounding hammer models. You will light strike A LOT.

Good luck, I have a cabinet full of rifles and almost all are more to WAY more expensive but I still love the '65 model 39a I use for SBCLA.

:D
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

PM SENT