Front Sight Question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
3Shastas
Unclassified Poster

Front Sight Question

Post by 3Shastas »

I know that aperture inserts in globe front sights are not legal for NRA Cowboy Rifle Silhouette shooting. My question is, if a legal length piece of fiber optic rod is glued into the hole in the aperture insert, does this now make the sight insert legal for use in competition?
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Front Sight Question

Post by dustinflint »

3Shastas wrote:I know that aperture inserts in globe front sights are not legal for NRA Cowboy Rifle Silhouette shooting. My question is, if a legal length piece of fiber optic rod is glued into the hole in the aperture insert, does this now make the sight insert legal for use in competition?
Possibly. If you fill in the entire hole with fiber optic material you could argue that it then becomes a bead and it's legal. Of course, you wouldn't be able to see the target at all because the giant bead would cover the entire target.

I don't know why anyone would fight you over this because you probably wouldn't hit a single target because you wouldn't be able to see them, but the problem you'd have in arguing that it's now a bead is the cross-piece that holds the circle in the middle of the sight - on most aperture inserts the cross-piece goes all the way across the insert. On a standard bead, there is just a little post that holds the bead and comes from underneath. That wouldn't be an advantage but it should be argued if someone was in the mood to argue about it.

Dustin
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Front Sight Question

Post by PhxShooter »

Actually there has been a thread on this sight about that very question. There are pictures of the sights Al Foust makes and sells. The general opinion was that they are legal. Those that disagreed (me amongst them) didn't think it was anything to worry about.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9525
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis