Ringing rams particularly at the Nationals

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Ringing rams particularly at the Nationals

Post by TheBugFather »

Just curious as to how many of you folks ring Rams and in particular at the nationals?
What was your bullet and load?
Just collecting brain food and also wondering if any use the nosler 170gr partition for you 30-30 users.
Any replies would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Ringing rams particularly at the Nationals

Post by 44 mag »

I have been lucky and not rang a ram in 3 years. We have clubs here in PA that have some tough rams. I am using a 170 Sierra with either 32 grains of Varget or 34 of RL-15. The RL-15 is a bit stiff on recoil but rams fall. Good Luck Mike
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Dennis, I don't think the Rams at Raton are any harder to knock down than most other ranges. If anything they should be easier because the rails have stops welded on them to assure the Rams are set the same each time. At other ranges if the Rams get set farther forward on the rails they will be harder to knock down.

I also use the afore mentioned load of 32 grs of Varget over a Sierra 170. In my rifle they are traveling 2178fps. I would strongly advise a 170 at no less than 2100 fps. I feel that is the minimum for consistent knockdown.

There may be some who disagree with me on this, but I have used lighter loads and have left Rams standing. One other factor in this equation is wind. If the wind is blowing on the Rams backside they will be harder to knock down also. If you want to win in this game you can't afford to lose even one animal.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I have never rung a ram at Raton in ANY venue. Unlike a lot of ranges, the animals at Raton are made out of the right material and with the proper dimensions and they are properly set on the rails/stands.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

We've only rang rams at Raton with a 30-30 when the wind was to the backside of the targets.... Personally, I don't think any load is 100% on Rams, especially when that happens.

31gr + of Varget with the Sierra 170g will take them 98-99% of the time.
When we couldn't get the Sierras my son tried "another S-brand's 170g", but wound up ringing 3 of them like a church bell at a local range a few years ago with the Varget load. Since switching back to Sierras he hasn't lost one.

I now use a 180gr Lead Boolit running about 1700FPS and haven't lost a ram YET.... But I wouldn't stop using it even if I did lose the occasional ram. I'd rather hit them than miss them and the lighter recoil load allows me to do so... I believe my scores, especially on rams, have gone up since switching to that load because I'm hitting more.

YMMV,

-Tim
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Thanks everyone, this is the kind of info I was looking for.
If anyone else has more to add, I would appreciate it greatly.
I went to Pala this last weekend and sticky muddy feet plus the occasional irregular size footed Rams, got me thinking.
What can I do to them, without killing my shoulder. Some others were even using 220gr bullets, more at cast bullet velocities. Trying to find the holy grail of bullet. That is why I mentioned the 170gr nosler partition. I figured the partition would hold together the best for that extra dwell time on the animal. But man, they ain't cheap. Boy I wish Dan was around.
Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

We shoot light loads and seldom ring a ram. I shoot a 150 grain bullet at about 1600 to 1700 fps. Jeanne shoots a cast bullet at about 1300 fps. I'm with Tim...almost any load will occasionally ring a ram. I'd rather hit all 10 and 8 fall then to deal with the added blast and recoil...but I'm getting old.
Just Be Nice **==
the ex pom
A Poster
A Poster

Post by the ex pom »

I cant recall standing any rams at Raton with my 348.
You can never have too much gun

Dave
348 winchester,teach them chickens a lesson, when a girls gun will not do. Man up with a steel buttplate!!!!!
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

As Tim mentioned, the bullet matters quite a bit. I tried some of these Speer 170gr Hot-Cor bullets (part number 2041) and had a couple rams rung.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/898281 ... box-of-100

I haven't had that trouble at all with these Speer 170gr DeepCurl (part number 2042) bullets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/162713 ... box-of-100

They take the rams down with authority, presumably due to much tougher construction. Unfortunately, they are now discontinued and I have less than 200 left of them. That is a lot of matches worth of rams, though.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Jason-

Check your PMs

- Tim