HI-Tek Polymer Coated Bullets

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

HI-Tek Polymer Coated Bullets

Post by Hattrix »

Has anyone tried these HI-Tek polymer coated bullets from Missouri Bullet Co? I've read pretty good things, but wanted an opinion here before I order some.
Are they worth the extra $$$ or not?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: HI-Tek Polymer Coated Bullets

Post by snaketail2 »

I have some limited experience with them. I ordered a sample-pack of 100 for my 25-20 and tried them with 4227. That powder is position-sensitive and you should use filler to keep the powder in place (or a different powder!).

I got OK results with those I tried. And, after the National's in June I expect to go back to the Missouri Bullet Company for more - My primary 25-20 load is with a Speer 75gr jacketed bullet and those have gotten very hard to find.

So, yes I've tried them, and probably will use them again. But I will most likely use IMR or H 4198 rather than 4227.
The sample pack had 100 bullets, 5 or 6 were too rough to use - the rest were fine and grouped well enough. I shot with a fellow in Arkansas who was using them - worked well for him.

Look at the Marlin Owners web site - in the Reloading section. There is some good data there about the Missouri Bullets.

The advantage of the coated bullet is they do not need lube and you can drive them a bit faster than regular cast bullets, without leading. And, lube on small bullets is a much debated topic...I think less is more.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

I thinking about using them in a 35 Rem. I shoot their 180s (un-coated) already for CPT with Trail Boss and XTPs and H4895 for Rams.
Wondering if I can push the coated ones a little faster and use them for Rams w/ a mediocre charge of H4895.
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

I am currently using them in all my PCLA guns, with pretty goof luck, 25-20, 38-40 and 44-40. All of them are using a IMR 4227 load. They group well on paper and the last match shot pretty good (batter then I did). I will be using them at Nationals for PCLA. After that I am going to be trying them in a 30-30, 43-40 and 38-55, and possibly a 45-70. Mine guns are all old 1893 Marlins with Ballard rifling, or new liners. All of the bullet I am shooting come from Missouri Bullets, and I am going to be placing and order for 3000 more later this week or next.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

Thanks Grizz!
That's the kind of review I was hoping to hear. I think I will try some in my 35 Rem and my 32-20 as well.
My 35 is Ballard rifled as well.
Maybe just get a box of each to start.