what gun to buy?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

what gun to buy?

Post by newpep »

I want to buy a Henry .22 mag to use in the pistol cartridge class of cowboy silhouette. My question is what are the suggestions and why to get a 24" barrel, octagon? or round? OR a 20" barrel, octagon? or round? How about some pros and cons? I am confused as to which way to go. Let me hear from you? Thanks
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: what gun to buy?

Post by Doodaddy »

24".

Longer sight radius, more weight in front of you, and a better balanced rifle to my tastes. I have the 24" 22lr variant of the Frontier.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Why are you considering buying a 22 mag rather than something like a 357 which a lot of shooters are using?
ppkny
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

If you can you should pick up both to see which one fits you. At one club I shoot at we have several 20 inch and 24 inch octagon barrels henrys. I have played with both and I keep going towards the 20 inch octagon barrel for the way it fits me. If you reload I would go with the 357 mag. The 357 has more options of loads to use over the 22 mag. If you don't reload then the 22 mag will work. I know several that don't reload and they use the 22 mag.
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

Post by newpep »

ppkny wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:03 am Why are you considering buying a 22 mag rather than something like a 357 which a lot of shooters are using?
ppkny
I don't reload and don't plan to. I really like my Henry 22LR and want the 22 mag, we can only shoot out to 100 yds, so don't need the power of a 357. That is why it is between the octagon or round and the 20 or 24. What are the differences between the round and octagon, anything other than weight?
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Good enough reason for the 22 mag. Like the previous post see what fits you best.
I have both the Henry's 22LR in the 20 and the 24 barrel and honestly the 24 is front heavy. I recently pick up a Browning 24" 22LR that has a tapered barrel and the balance is perfect.
Getting back to the 22Mag, whatever fits you best. The 24" does offer more sight radius which is always helpful.
ppkny
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

We had a 20" round barrel and I just want to throw it out there about heat. The round barrel in 22mag gets hot fast...

It will lose accuracy fast if it gets too hot. If you get one shoot it in 5 shot groups and allow to cool between.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

Post by newpep »

cedestech wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:44 am We had a 20" round barrel and I just want to throw it out there about heat. The round barrel in 22mag gets hot fast...

It will lose accuracy fast if it gets too hot. If you get one shoot it in 5 shot groups and allow to cool between.
Heat of the barrel, that is what I wondered about. Thanks
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Don't get me wrong. It's plenty accurate and during a normal match it's fine. If you are practicing or on the bench it's easy to over heat it quick though. Be mindfull to load 5, shoot 5, give it a minute, load 5, shoot 5 then give it a few minutes.

That is why I love my 357. Besides the weight which I like I can download and my barrel is never too hot to touch. ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Post by sdwooster »

I like the 24" barrel rifles. To me they hold on target better and the weight slows the movement down. I don't own a Henry, But I did give 2 away at of CBC match last year. They felt pretty good. I don't think there is much difference in weight between the octagon and round. Like the other people said, its whatever fits and feels the best for you. We are all different shapes and sizes. Good luck
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

I would go with the 24" henry for the longer sight radius. If it feels too barrel heavy, that can easily be adjusted by adding ballast in the butt stock.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I have the Henry Frontier with the 24 inch octagon barrel and a Henry Big Boy Brass in .357 with the 20 inch octagon barrel. I am well pleased with the balance of both rifles. I wish the Henry .357 had a 24 inch barrel for a longer sight radius. Both rifles are more than accurate enough for offhand silhouette. I am shooting CCI Mini Mag ammo in the Frontier. I do not find the 24 inch barrel muzzle heavy. It is very well balanced for me.

Since Newpep does not want to reload, then I would suggest the Henry Frontier in 22 mag.