Cowboy Rimfire for a lady?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Cowboy Rimfire for a lady?

Post by hermit5 »

Winchester 61
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

hermit5 wrote:Winchester 61
Those 61s are truly one of life's finer things. They are beyond my budget though!
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Wow! I checked the prices on those Winchester 61's and they are sky high! They look a lot like the Remington 12 that I inherited from my grandfather, but the prices are about 10X higher. Anyone have the scoop on why the 61's bring so much money?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

CamP, it's simple the 61 was made during the golden years of Winchester. They were extremely well designed and made by highly skilled craftsmen. They were also expensive to make and cost more than competing makers 22's. They are also very accurate. Derek Greenaway set a couple of SCR national records with a 61.
Also there were not millions of them made, and production stopped in the early 60's. I have both a 22lr, and a 22mag. The mag's really bring big money as they only made them for 3 or 4 years.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Thanks for the info, cslaAl.

When I recently inherited my grandfather's Model 12, I also got his WWII era Model 94. I never owned any Winchester rifles before, but that 94 is fast becoming my favorite.
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

61 may be pricey now but you will not lose money.
Al has spoken.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

CamP wrote:Thanks for the info, cslaAl.

When I recently inherited my grandfather's Model 12, I also got his WWII era Model 94. I never owned any Winchester rifles before, but that 94 is fast becoming my favorite.
Winchester's can become an addiction as there really is nothing else like them, currently or historically. In my opinion they are a great example of American craftsmanship. Enjoy your Winchesters!
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

Us guys Down Under love them Winchesters a good 9422M can and normally does roll out now day for $1000-00 plus =)) :ymparty: =))
Great if you own a few good ones :)) :)) :))
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

SqHunter wrote: Winchester's can become an addiction as there really is nothing else like them, currently or historically. In my opinion they are a great example of American craftsmanship. Enjoy your Winchesters!
I guess I'm hooked because Wednesday I bought a never been fired 9422M Legacy that was made in 2004. It has the longer 22.5" barrel and pistol grip. Now if it would just stop raining here in Texas!
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Congratulations, those are supposed to be very fine rifles. I have long admired the Winchester 9422, but never had the pleasure of shooting one. Good luck!
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

CamP
You made a very wise purchase. The 9422 is a very nice rifle. It shares some of the designs from the 61. The bolt and lifting system are similar. The longer barrel is also advantageous, as is the pistol grip.
I have the 22lr and 22M in the legacy models. I used the 22M to win a state PCLA championship here in Pa in 2009.
Enjoy,
Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

cslcAl wrote:CamP
You made a very wise purchase. The 9422 is a very nice rifle. It shares some of the designs from the 61. The bolt and lifting system are similar. The longer barrel is also advantageous, as is the pistol grip.
I have the 22lr and 22M in the legacy models. I used the 22M to win a state PCLA championship here in Pa in 2009.
Enjoy,
Al Foust
Thanks Al. I normally shoot a 39A, which I love. I prefer a pistol grip so when I started looking for a Magnum, the 9422 Legacy was at the top of the list. Feel fortunate to find one locally that didn't require selling part of my anatomy.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Another 2 cents worth.
I started out with a Browning BL-22. Very small lever gun, with a fairly heavy trigger. I used it to make AA.
When I moved to a 39a I offered it to my wife, who doesn't like "heavy" rifles. She is 5'3" and it fit her well. The trigger didn't bother her, but she did not like the Williams rear or Lyman front sights..."can't I use a scope?" (No!)
If your wife is small the BL-22 might be worth looking into, but the trigger is going to take some getting used to.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I want to end any myths about short barrel rifle sight radius.

The truth is the pistol silhouette competitors use 12" barrels with Williams FP peep sights on the exact same targets and distances. They can and will beat the cowboy rifle competitors in concurrent matches. I once ran the math on peep diameter vs sight radius. The relationships of rear peep diameter and sight radius is related to target distance. With a rifle, you can easily use the 1/8" rear peep and hit the ram. I have shot 57/60 targets using the Williams big hole rear aperture. I think it's around 0.090".

I'd buy the Winchester 9422 or a Mountie if the shooter is comfortable with it and be happy that it's a rifle with appreciating value.
- Joe
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Joe
I'm with you on sight radius. I have always asked folks to show me the proof that a longer barrel is more accurate than a shorter one. None have convinced me yet. We even had a couple of shooters that voiced concern on starting and ending with certain animals at one of our matches. I would love to see any proof that starting position makes a difference...maybe just in their minds. I think barrel length and weight just makes for a steadier rifle.

As far as hunter pistol out shooting lever actions on a 100 yard course , I accept that challenge and welcome all hunter pistol ( Metallic sights ) shooters to come to our range and show us. We will be having hunter pistol with our Lever Action silhouette matches in 2016.
Just Be Nice **==