Practice rifle

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
trx498r
B Poster
B Poster

Practice rifle

Post by trx498r »

Looking to buy a cheap pellet rifle to practice with at the house and get the gf started. Bass pro and academy have a few anyone shooting a gamo or Benjamin around $3-400 bucks?
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Practice rifle

Post by Dee »

If you are looking at rifles I wouldn't bother with anything at a box retailer. With a budget of up to around $400 I would look for a used TX200 or a FWB300. Might cost you just a little bit more but the quality and accuracy and build quality you will get for that little bit extra will be money well spend over and Benjamin or Gamo etc sold at Bass Pro or Academy. Spend a bit more and get a MUCH better rifle out of the two I mentioned above used. You will not regret spending more and you would only be disappointed with the others I assure you. Plus they will hold their resale value in the event you want to upgrade later. The others you couldn't resell for 1/2 of what you paid for them if you were lucky.

Here is one in the classified on here right now for a good deal. http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... f=3&t=9009 $350 with the scope.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

Dee is absolutely right.

You probably think you are going to save some money and "it's just a pellet gun anyway" right? You will be so disappointed when you find out you can't consistently hit what you are aiming at with a big box pellet gun, and will be pleasantly surprised at how much quality a little extra can get you. Trust me, I must have gone thru 10-12 airguns my first 2 years alone, figuring I'd start cheap and work my way up to whatever is "good enough". With the hundreds and hundreds of dollars I lost I could now own several $2000 guns if I had just listened to what other people with more experience told me. I was a knucklehead. Do a lot of research and visit the Yellow Classifieds at network54 to find the best deals on good quality used airguns. Their main page also has links to a dozen or so airgun dealers. Visit all of them because they all have useful information. Please don't throw your money away. It could very easily make the difference between you sticking with it and having a ton of fun, or giving up before you even really got into it.

Good Luck!

Scrench
jdp
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jdp »

Dee, along with other LA., Texas and FL. friends got me hooked on air rifles. My son first got me a tx 200. We have loaned it and shared it with many people to shoot in Winnsboro and TX., when they didn't have a springer or open rifle. My tx has won many classes in the hands of many people on this web site. So that tells you how good the Tx 200's are. Well worth the investment. A friend on this site located a Steyr for me. I am now spoiled. A good air rifle is the best practice. I shoot 2 classes higher in all air rifle classes than I do in small bore. I guess because I shoot them so much more. ($10.00 for 500 rounds.) Great backyard or sometimes with the 10m's inside practice. I can shoot literately everyday. Go for the better air rifle and you will save money in the long run and never look back.
John Peterson
trx498r
B Poster
B Poster

Post by trx498r »

I shot a x40 in ROTC in high school really looking for a springer so I don't have to buy a tank to fill. What's a good sporter style springer
jdp
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jdp »

The Air Arms tx 200 is a sporter style springer. Check them out on youtube. You don't want the carbine length.
John Peterson
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

The two rifles I mentioned as well as the one for sale on here are all springers. You could also look into a SSP style rifle but those run a little bit more used. Either style will prevent you from needing a air tank.

Dee
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

If I were you I'd buy the FWB 300 listed in the classifieds from Greg. The price is good and those rifles shoot great and have very nice triggers. Also, it's a Target rifle and will force you to learn to follow through due to the slower pellet velocity. Also, Greg knows how to take care of a rifle so it will be in great shape if Greg says so.

Dustin
trx498r
B Poster
B Poster

Post by trx498r »

Alright bit the bullet and bought a used tx200 on gunbroker with a bushnell elite scope. Any advice for it and what pellets do they like?
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

CPL's, FTT and JSB Exacts are generally good choices. Pellet rifles can be even pickier then 22LR....

:)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Deau-we
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Deau-we »

I've found that the JSB Diabolo 8.44 pellets and the air arms Diabolo 8.44 pellets do very well in my TX. I tried the 7.87 JSB but they didn't seem to do as well as the heavier 8.44 pellets. You might want to get a sampler pack from Pyramid air to try. Good luck and enjoy the TX. It's addictive.

Deau-We
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

I shoot 10.5 grain crosman pills in my air arms 400sl. I think they are going about 750fps. I can shoot a dime at the 30 yard pig line the time. Pyramid air guns has the best prices on pellets. Order 3, 4th is free. I think it is always 10% off 150 dollar order with a code. NRA-PYRMYD is a good code I think.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

trx498r wrote:Alright bit the bullet and bought a used tx200 on gunbroker with a bushnell elite scope. Any advice for it and what pellets do they like?
+
Good choice!! That is the combination I use on my TX200 with a Elite 4200 8-32x. Awesome combination and will be very accurate. I would look for the 8.44 JSB pellets as they seem to shoot great in all the TX's I have come across. Just know that with spring rifles they are very hold sensitive, meaning you must shoulder and use the same amount of grip tension on both the forearm and pistol grip, shoulder pressure and forearm placement with each shot once you have it dialed in. You can get it pretty close shooting off a rest (try to place the rest in the same spot you will hold it with your hand as well to minimize change when going back to offhand) but you will find you need to fine tune the sights when you go to offhand just a bit to make up for the hold sensitivity. Just shoot it offhand and pay close attention to where the shot breaks compared to point if impact and adjust accordingly. Once you have defined your hold consistently you should be able to stack them on on top the other.

Just start out as close as you can and then adjust to get the POI and match the POA with consistency and you are all set.

Congrats on your new air rifle. Be warned you will want a nice PCP soon enough :lol:

Dee
jdp
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jdp »

My TX200 also likes the JSB 8.44's the best. It shoots them consistently right around 850fps. Good luck you will love it. But Dee is right be warned. I always pick up my PCP first.
John Peterson
trx498r
B Poster
B Poster

Post by trx498r »

I wish there was matches in my area but all we have is smallbore so the air rifle will be the practice king, since 22 is near impossible to get.