Deformed pellets

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Deformed pellets

Post by Sporty »

To the air gun shooters, are the deformed Diabolo pellets shown here typical for their weight? The heavier Baracuda were shipped in the same loosely packed box and have all kept their shape. The lighter Diabolo pellets may be "carefully selected" but they weren't carefully packed by Amazon. There wasn't any packing material that held the containers from banging around. Lots of bent pellet rims with the Diabolo.

Is this why my air rifle likes the Baracuda better? Your thoughts.

You may have to click on the picture and click on it again in Photobucket to make it larger.

-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Deformed pellets

Post by Doodaddy »

Get you a 1/4" headphone adapter and insert the tip into the skirt of the pellet to flare it back to being uniform. You'll eventually get the feel (I would twist the adapter and pellet slightly) and be able to do it quickly. The pellets will likely oversize slightly so your gun may or may not like it. I'd experiment and at worst the pellets you already couldn't shoot because of deformities don't shoot well.

I would do an entire tin, deformed or not, simply for consistency's sake and all went just fine for me.

I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Nice trick. Does it have to be a stereo plug or can it be monaural? (j/k)
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Doodaddy wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:58 am Get you a 1/4" headphone adapter and insert the tip into the skirt of the pellet to flare it back to being uniform. You'll eventually get the feel (I would twist the adapter and pellet slightly) and be able to do it quickly. The pellets will likely oversize slightly so your gun may or may not like it. I'd experiment and at worst the pellets you already couldn't shoot because of deformities don't shoot well.

I would do an entire tin, deformed or not, simply for consistency's sake and all went just fine for me.
I tried it and it's a lot of work. I'd rather just shoot the heavier Baracuda.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Sporty wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:06 am Nice trick. Does it have to be a stereo plug or can it be monaural? (j/k)
=)) =))
Sporty wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:47 am I tried it and it's a lot of work. I'd rather just shoot the heavier Baracuda.
I just noticed the weight of your Diabolos. I bet that was a bit of work. lol

I was doing this with the 7.33 grains and they straightened out really easily which was nice as probably 25% of the pellets in the tins would be deformed. I was able to go through an entire tin in a few minutes.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Poor quality control is exactly why I cast my own now! :shock: =))
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

My close up vision is very bad and I don't wear my glasses when I shoot my air rifles. So, I'm never sure whether I'm loading pellets with bent skirts or not. I mainly shoot indoors for practice at ten meters as there are no air rifles matches close, but I also shoot some postals.

I do look my pellets over when I open the tin, and I've never seen bent skirts like the ones in your picture. I only shoot 177's. Maybe the heavier weights are more prone to damage if they are loosely packaged.

So, I'm curious, have any of you ever shot pellets with bent skirts to see how they shoot or put them over a chronograph, and if so, what did you find out?