Help with BKL Drop Compensated Mount

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Help with BKL Drop Compensated Mount

Post by ShootingStar »

OK guys,
I guess I'm just too ignorant to figure this one out. . .
I installed a BKL Cantilever Mount with built in drop compensation, but. . .
At 25 yds, using my Weaver T24 and my elevation screwed all the way up, I'm still 3-4" low!
It didn't matter (much) what weight pellet I used - I'm way off from where I need to be to start shooting Air Rifle Silhouettes.

What am I doing wrong!!!
I've attached a picture showing the installation.
Thanks,
ShootingStar
Greg
Anschutz with BKL Drop Mount.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Help with BKL Drop Compensated Mount

Post by acorneau »

If you have a set of calipers put the scope mount on a very flat surface and try to measure for the offset between the front and rear rings. It's possible you received an non-drop-compensated mount by accident.

Just a thought.
Last edited by acorneau on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Corneau
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Shooting Star: What pellet are you using and what distance are you trying to zero at?
Make sure the drop compensation is facing the barrel.
You may need to shim the rear of the scope. I hope this helps. Ken
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

From my experience with BKL's, what you have is a cantilever, not a droop mount. I have an extra BKL droop mount floating around in my shop. If interested (cheap; I'd rather see it put to good use) let me know and I'll get it out to you.

topclass2017 (at) comcast (dot) net
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Another thought is to try a traditional two-ring set up.

As you may or may not know the front scope dovetail (in front of the loading gate) is slightly lower than the main dovetail. I borrowed a 2002 recently and it was set up with the Burris Zee rings with a +20 insert in the front and maybe a -20 in the rear ring. As far as I can tell it was just the right amount to keep the elevation adjustment near the center of it's range.

=:)
Allen Corneau
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

Thanks for all the input.
I was looking at the scope and mount the other night and I discovered (I think) the depth or breadth of my stupidity!
I say stupidity because I "knew" how to mount a cantilevered scope mount (even though I had never mounted one before)!!!
So, i just mounted it the way shown in the pictures in the OP.

I took it off, because as you know, it didn't give me the elevation correction I needed.
I just thought BKL sent me the regular, non-drop compensated mount by accident. At that moment a though occurred to me. . .
"Could it be that I really DON'T know everything and I installed the mount backwards?" Nah, that's not it; it MUST be BKL's fault! Yeah, that's it. . . but just look for the "dots" on the bottom (just like the directions say) - those have to go towards the muzzle end.
I searched all over the end I had placed towards the muzzle and couldn't find those little bitty dots! Man they must be pretty small or it's really a game of hide-and-seek to find them, because I couldn't see them anywhere!!!

By now you know where this is headed. . . Yep, that's right. . . Stupidity confirmed!!! :oops: :-o
The big ol dots were on the OTHER end of the mount! Who knew!!! L-)

Anyway, swapped the mount around - end-for-end - which forced me to spin the scope as well - AND find the new mounting point. But the worst thing is. . . the wife and kids are right (please don't tell them though) - I DON'T know everything (until now that is)!!! Thank goodness I didn't go any longer without knowing the ONLY THING I didn't know before!!!

Anyway, pictures to follow and a range report. . .
Looks kinda weird the way it's mounted, but if it works - who cares about looks! Certainly not the scorecard!!!

BTW - I call myself STUPID because I just KNEW how to mount it, without really knowing or even confirming. That's plain stupid.
If I were merely ignorant, I would have known I didn't know, so I would have checked. Anyway. . .
All's well that ends well.

ShootingStar
Greg
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Greg: Glad that you were smart enough to figure it out. =))