Air Gun in Missouri?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Air Gun in Missouri?

Post by snaketail2 »

I know that Missouri is somewhat a "dead" area for air gun silhouette. But, I thought I'd ask again...anyone know of matches in this part of the country (St. Louis) - that doesn't require a 7-hour drive?

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Air Gun in Missouri?

Post by dustinflint »

I don't know anything about the air rifle scene in MO but I do know that there is no easier type of silhouette match to start and run than an Airgun sil match - especially with Wayne Harlow making outstanding resettable targets. We have monthly and weekly club matches at our range, and we've had night matches in a guy's back yard.

All you need are targets and a space to shoot 45 yards. If you have a club that will fund the targets, all the better. If not, getting a few guys together to come up with enough money for targets and some paint is not that big of a deal. If you are not ready to buy resettables, there are places to get freestanding targets. Just start up a match!

Dustin
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I was afraid you'd say that.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
BadKarma
B Poster
B Poster

Post by BadKarma »

We really need to get something going here in MO. With the .22 LR so hard to get ahold of you would think it would be rather easy to get folks interested.
If you bow hunt Cape Buffalo, you just might wet your pants!
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

The issue with air rifle silhouette is always going to be the initial cost of getting rifles and scopes. There are three different classes of air rifle silhouette and they are all pretty specialized. The great news is that air rifles are about the most awesome rifles in the world. They are super fun to shoot and compete with and own.

My advice to get things going is to get a group of people together and everyone buy an Olympic 10 m air rifle and shoot that in target and open classes. 10m rifles are the best practice rifles in my opinion. The slow pellets force you to learn how to follow through and learning to read wind gets put at a premium. Plus they are just awesome machines.

You really need at least three or four people to come together and commit to get any sustained interest going. Good luck. Come to nationals in Baton Rouge in March!
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I saw "Dustin cleans the chickens" video on YouTube. Are you using an Olympic 10M rifle?
Michael

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnKN48wrJRc
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

snaketail2 wrote:I saw "Dustin cleans the chickens" video on YouTube. Are you using an Olympic 10M rifle?
Michael

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnKN48wrJRc
Yes, that's an Anschutz 2002CA 10m rifle.

Dustin
mobilemail
Unclassified Poster

Post by mobilemail »

I live about an hour north of St. Louis, but I would love the opportunity to play along if it's on a Saturday - that's about my only available time. I have never shot airgun competitively in any fashion, but I do have a scoped Crosman Challenger PCP and a 1701P with open target sight. That should let me miss in style!

-- In fact I'm new to your site, beside just looking at it a few times. I just registered. :-h
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

mobilman - Welcome to the site.

If I have any luck finding a place to shoot I'll post it here.

Stay tuned,
Michael

I got lucky - and found a club that has rile silhouette every Monday evening (sorry, no Saturday silhouette). The club is an hour from St. Louis in Il. Here is a link to their site http://www.highlandgunclub.com/
mobilemail
Unclassified Poster

Post by mobilemail »

I got to shoot there once, great setup. But I'm almost always out of town during the week.