Leupold 3-9x33 EFR

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
gard72977
B Poster
B Poster

Leupold 3-9x33 EFR

Post by gard72977 »

Does anyone have a opinion on the Leupold 3-9x33 EFR for airgun silhouette. Its going on a HW77 so I need to keep it low and the small bell helps. Just wonder what others are using on springers. Im considering having a target turret put on by the Leupold custom shop.
gard72977
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Leupold 3-9x33 EFR

Post by gard72977 »

Forgot to ask if I do the target turret should I do both the elevation and windage?
Longbow
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Longbow »

I have a couple of there newer efr's with the low profile finger adjust turrets. They work very well, no problems.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

If you're planning on the rifle being dedicated to silhouette, I'd definitely put something with more magnification on it. Those 3-9X EFR scopes are great for small game hunting and informal shooting, but only having 9X magnification would be a disadvantage for most people in silhouette, especially if you are shooting in any of the upper classes.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I am also looking at the Leupold 3-9X with Custom Shop Target Turrets for Silhouette. We have a Beeman R7 with a Bushnell 4-12X for the youngsters and ladies to borrow during the matchs. The R7 also serves as my wife's main springer. I also enjoy shooting the R7. It is a sweet shooting springer with decent velocity and easy cocking even in the factory spring configuration. The Bushnell is a great scope but it is holding the R7 back for Silhouette because of the lack of Target Turrets. We have a good zero for pigs, hold under for chickens and hold over for turkeys and rams. The only trouble with the R7 is that the receiver does not seem long enough to mount a normal Silhouette scope such as the 6.5-20x EFR. The 3-9x EFR seems the only option out there for the R7 that will have consistent, repeatable Elevation adjustments.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Look at a Weaver 40/44 series 4-12X44AO. Focus down to 10 yards, reasonably good glass, short target turrets and the OAL of the scope is short enough to mount on a break barrel.

You'll be limited to Plex reticle but for the price it's nice. Have used a few.

:)

atomicbrh wrote:I am also looking at the Leupold 3-9X with Custom Shop Target Turrets for Silhouette. We have a Beeman R7 with a Bushnell 4-12X for the youngsters and ladies to borrow during the matchs. The R7 also serves as my wife's main springer. I also enjoy shooting the R7. It is a sweet shooting springer with decent velocity and easy cocking even in the factory spring configuration. The Bushnell is a great scope but it is holding the R7 back for Silhouette because of the lack of Target Turrets. We have a good zero for pigs, hold under for chickens and hold over for turkeys and rams. The only trouble with the R7 is that the receiver does not seem long enough to mount a normal Silhouette scope such as the 6.5-20x EFR. The 3-9x EFR seems the only option out there for the R7 that will have consistent, repeatable Elevation adjustments.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
gard72977
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gard72977 »

Thanks for all the help guys. I Have a 3-9x33 EFR CDS on the way. I have to use a small objective because the scopes needs to sit low on the gun. The 77 has a much lower cheek piece than the 97. I have a set of Leupold CZ 11mm rings coming too. I will need to machine a stop pin in the rear ring. They seemed to be the perfect height the keep the scope tight to the gun but give enough clearance to work the AO.

I know that this may not be the best set up for silhouette but it will have to do for now.
Frankly
Unclassified Poster

Post by Frankly »

Why not add a comb raiser?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Comb riser is not legal on the 77 for the Sporter Class. See Dustin's post about this. Dustin had a good explanation about what constituted a legal Sporter stock. It would be legal for the Open Class but why would you want to make a good Springer illegal for the Sporter Class.
Pistol Mike
Unclassified Poster

Post by Pistol Mike »

Jason wrote:If you're planning on the rifle being dedicated to silhouette, I'd definitely put something with more magnification on it. Those 3-9X EFR scopes are great for small game hunting and informal shooting, but only having 9X magnification would be a disadvantage for most people in silhouette, especially if you are shooting in any of the upper classes.
I would say a 3-9 is more than enough for silhouette shooting! :? But I'm pretty new on rifle silhouette shooting.
I keep my leupold 2-7 on my .22LR set on x4, Think it makes my "wooble" a bit less disturbing, at least it feels so for me.

Best regards, Mike
"We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately"
Benjamin Franklin
Longbow
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Longbow »

Have three of them, they work very well. Another one , I have yet to try is the Burris 4-14x32, with TT it would do nicely. Pete