Eye Relief for beginner?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
DrGunner
B Poster
B Poster

Eye Relief for beginner?

Post by DrGunner »

My 11-year-old daughter is starting to show serious interest in shooting NRA smallbore silhouette. So far, for offhand shooting she has been using her single shot Crickett with a UTG 4-16 mini scope, but she has outgrown that tiny rifle. The scope works fine for her purposes right now, but does NOT track adequately for the four distances for silhouette shooting. Part of the trouble here is that she’s still small. Her CZ 425 Scout with a Weaver V16 with upgraded Varminter reticle, but the Scout is still a bit heavy for her, so she struggles with her hold.
We are in the process of building her a Kidd ULW semi auto with reduced size custom Pharr clone stock. While a bolt action would be ideal, she’s comfortable with the Kidd as it’s very light and the price was right- it was a gift. She has always had difficulty with the eye relief/sight acquisition on the Weaver V16; that may improve as she grows into the rifle.
For now, she plans on practicing with an Ultradot 25 and the UTG. Despite its shortcomings in tracking, she does find it easy to acquire her target.
She does seem to do well with my Leupold VX3i 6.5-20 EFR, but $949 is a bit out of her price range for now...
I know they pop up @ $750 every now and then, but I’d like to find something in the $500 price range. Go figure- a fledgling silhouette shooter and she already has discerning taste in equipment!!!

I wish Sightron still made the SIIBS6-24x42SIL scopes, they were perfect and priced right.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a variable, perhaps 3-12 or 4-16X, that has

* Forgiving eye relief

* Reliable Tracking

* Light weight- 17oz MAX.

Suggestions???

Please help

DrGunner
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Eye Relief for beginner?

Post by ShootingStar »

Hey Dr.
Post a WTB in the classified both here and on RimfireCentral tell a small portion of your daughter's story.
I've seen the 6.5-20 Leupold come up for sale intermittently and this might spur someone into helping out a Newer/Junior shooter.

In fact, 2 days after I purchase that exact scope locally for $525, one came up either here or there for $500!!!
I don't remember which site, because my tears hid the url from me!!!

Good Luck,
ShootingStar
Greg Chandler
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Dr. There are still many Weaver's out there that fit those requirements. Many on closeout price.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
DrGunner
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DrGunner »

Thanks for the input- will probably look for a used EFR.

DrGunner