What is now the preferred Leupold scope

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

What is now the preferred Leupold scope

Post by DavidABQ »

Now that the FX3 25x40 has been discontinued what is the preferred Leupold rifle scope to be used for silhouette?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: What is now the preferred Leupold scope

Post by atomicbrh »

That is a good question. Maybe Leupold will have another 25X production run in the future.
A readily available supply of such equipment would make it easier for new shooters to enter the sport.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

If you are on a tight budget you may want to look at one of these scopes. Athlon Optics, Argos BTR, Riflescope, 6-24x50
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:46 am If you are on a tight budget you may want to look at one of these scopes. Athlon Optics, Argos BTR, Riflescope, 6-24x50
Not on a tight budget so much as wanting a Leupold rifle scope for sllhouette competition.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Stick with the gold ring Dave. They are hard to beat.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

DavidABQ wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:52 am Now that the FX3 25x40 has been discontinued what is the preferred Leupold rifle scope to be used for silhouette?
Unfortunately Leupold does not have a scope in their current line-up that is off-the-shelf preferred for silhouette.

The only one that comes close is the VX-3i 6.5-20X EFR but even that needs a reticle swap if you want a dot and not the duplex reticle. Also, many people prefer more magnification than 20X so that is a second strike against it.

They have some other higher magnification scopes but you also trade off non-appropriate reticles, 1/8 MOA adjustments, not enough low range on the focus, too heavy, too expensive, etc.

Best bet is to look for a NOS FX-3 or buy used.
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

My friend was curious as to what scope he should buy as he is hooked on silhouette after going to the SB Silhouette Nationals this summer.

I already have 2 of the FX3 in 25x with the promise from Pete here on the board that if he has another .run made through the custom shop he will put my name on one.
I like that scope very much!