Scope conundrum

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Scope conundrum

Post by acorneau »

Howdy folks,

I've been going back and forth on refining my scope situation and I'd like to hear your thoughts on which way to go. I'll say right off the bat that I DO NOT have $700-800 to drop on a Leopold scope so don't even suggest it.
:-@

Right now I have a Weaver V-16 with the standard Dual-X (duplex) reticle and for the most part I like it a lot: 1/4 MOA adjustments, AO that goes down to sub-30 feet, etc. 16X magnification is just fine for me although having the ability the zoom a little more may be helpful in some circumstances, but I don't feel like I need the extra magnification right now. The only thing I don't like is the duplex reticle and would rather have Weaver's "Varminter" reticle, but they don't offer it on the V-16.

The three options I'm considering are:

1. Send my scope to Weaver for a reticle change ($75).
2. Get a V-24 with the Varminter reticle ($350, but 1/8 MOA adjustments).
3. Get a V-16 with the fine crosshair with dot (1/8 MOA dot) and add on a BullzEye booster ($300 + $100, long-shot solution).

The way I see it...

-Changing my scope's reticle gives me what I want for the least cost but doesn't give me any extra zoom if I decide I want it later.
-The V-24 would be great but there is no option to get away from the 1/8 MOA adjustments. (I asked Weaver and they said no.)
-The V-16 FCD with booster is an interesting option but I'd have to buy everything and try it out. Could be a big winner or big loser!

So, given my situation what would you do?

:ymdaydream:

Edit to add: this is for small-bore silhouette.

Edit #2 to add: I shoot almost weekly at an indoor range (~16 yards) for mid-week practice and Leopold scopes won't focus under 50 yards. The Weaver scopes focus to under 30 feet which makes them a match for me.
Last edited by acorneau on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Corneau
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Scope conundrum

Post by Jerry G »

You damn sure won't like the 1/8 dot. I think that 3/8 is as small as you should go.
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

HI ,
If I were you I would buy a WEAVER T 16X with a target dot between 3/8 to 1/2 min .
They can be found and are capable of focusing down to 50 ft thru infinity
approximate price 350.00 , these are the original steel scopes and can be used for ALL
the disciplines ... AIR , SMALLBORE , HIGH-POWER ...
IF you do not you cannot be pleased ... they are SUPERB
GSL
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Well, I just purchased a Weaver T-16 Benchrest/Silhouette scope with the 3/4 MOA target dot. It comes with the regular turrets, tall target turrets, sun shade, scope cover, and some Leupold QRL rings (which I'll probably sell off).

Should be in next week and I hope I made the right decision. If not, I'll probably send in my V-16 for the reticle change and I know someone that would buy the T-16 from me pretty quick.
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

**== I hope it meets your expectations. Good luck and I hope to meet you at this year's NRA small bore silhouette national competition.
\m/
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Thanks David.

No plans to go to Nationals this year, don't think I'm up for that big of a show yet. Next year, perhaps.
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Why not? They have all of the classes, Master, AAA, AA, A and B.

No worries, and everyone has fun.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Got the new T-16 sighted in today. I really like the crosshair and dot, although I can see where a 1/2 or 3/8 MOA dot is the preferred size for most.

The thing I will have to get used to is the target turrets have numbers counting up from zero in both directions where my V-16 counts up in one direction. I checked the other set of turrets that came with the scope and they do the same thing so I'll just have to get used to it.

It was rather windy today so I didn't waste too much ammo with practice but I shot enough to know that I'm happy with my purchase.
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

As long as you are happy with the scope that is all that matters.

**==
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

HI ,
If I understand the turret situation , they are marked 0 , 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 4 , 3 , 2 , 1 , 0 .
What I do is with cheap paint put a different color DOT over the 4 , 3 , 2 , 1 .
SO , the turret will be marked 0, 1, 2 , 3 , 4 , and then a colored dot , different colored dot ,
different colored dot ... until you get to 0 again .
You will then have chickens as 0
pigs as 1
turkeys as 3
rams as a colored dot .
AS temperature and settings vary , you have some upward movement built in ... get it ?
GSL .
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Actually the numbers go up from "0" and meet at the back of the turret at "9", but I get your point. Luckily for me my chickens are at "0" and rams are at "9", I just have to make sure I'm spinning the turret the right way!
@-)
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

acorneau wrote:Actually the numbers go up from "0" and meet at the back of the turret at "9", but I get your point. Luckily for me my chickens are at "0" and rams are at "9", I just have to make sure I'm spinning the turret the right way!
@-)
I hope that guy over on Rimfire Central who bought the same scope reads this because that is a great tip to paint a dot over the second set of numbers.

:-bd
:ymdevil:
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

DavidABQ wrote:I hope that guy over on Rimfire Central who bought the same scope reads this because that is a great tip to paint a dot over the second set of numbers.
Nah, I heard that guy is a jerk. Let him figure it out for himself.

8-}

:))
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

acorneau wrote:
DavidABQ wrote:I hope that guy over on Rimfire Central who bought the same scope reads this because that is a great tip to paint a dot over the second set of numbers.
Nah, I heard that guy is a jerk. Let him figure it out for himself.

8-}

:))
I have heard even worse things about him.

I was trying to be nice, for once. O:-)