Caution Airgunners: Leupold FX3 25X Unusable

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Caution Airgunners: Leupold FX3 25X Unusable

Post by Scrench »

Just wanted to let all airgunners know that I recently bought a Leupold FX3 25x scope that turned out to be unusable. I knew it only focused down to 50 yards, but I called Leupold Technical Support before I bought it to see if it could be adjusted down to 20 yards. The rep told me they could refocus it down to 10 yards, so I bought it. Lo and behold, this week I get a call from Leupold saying "sorry, we can only focus this scope down to 25 yards minimum". Apparently there is not enough space to move the objective lens without compromising the integrity of the tube and causing a gas leak. Needless to say, I was very disappointed as the specs for this scope were perfect for me. FWIW.

Scrench
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Caution Airgunners: Leupold FX3 25X Unusable

Post by OldRanger »

Thats a very odd response from them since they sell an adapter that focuses the scope down to 50 feet. I would have thought that with the adapter in place they could have easily adjusted things to work at 60 feet. Did you talk to chicken George yet?
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

Yes.

I explained my situation and George suggested the EFR or the Sightron 6-24x Sii Sil. I already use 16x so going to 20x with the EFR is too small a jump for me, plus it's too expensive (I know, buy once, cry once, but I thought I did that with the FX). The Sightron is ready to go, no mods, but is a little heavier than I want (which is why I'm not looking for a Bushnell 4200) and I think is overpriced new. If I can't find what I'm looking for in another post then the Sightron will gain new life.

WTB Leupold BR 25x or Weaver T24 model 849988.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

What did you do with the Leupold?

Dustin
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Easy there Dustin... :wink:

I tried this experiment several years ago, and discovered that with the adapter in place the chickens were fine, but there was no way to focus on turkeys - either with or without the adapter - and those things are hard enough anyway.

So - what did 'ya do with the scope? 8)
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

Wow,

I KNEW I shoulda' just bought a CZ 452 to put under that scope!

Easy boys, the dealer I purchased it from was completely understanding and allowed me to return it for a full refund. Now that I think about it, I probably should have kept it for it's trade value. The aggravating thing about it all was I was so looking forward to using it, as it perfectly fit my situation. And according to Sean at Leupold, there is currently no scope they make over 20x that will or can be focused down to 20 yards. That's why I'm still holding out hope that a BR will pop up (hint, hint Pat... isn't Joseph tired of that old scope?)

See Ya Shootin'
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

The reason I asked about the FX-3 is that I have a BR24 but I'd need to to a trade = cash or something because that scope is on a rifle.

Dustin
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

Dustin,

I'll give you a call. Maybe we can work something out.

Thank You,

Richard Harris
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Dustin, the BR-24 may actually have better glass than the FX3 25x40, although I usually send them in for a reticle change to the 3/8's Leupold dot.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

The leupold competition 35x or 40x can be focused down to 10 yds and out to 55+ yds. Field target shooters use this scope often. Note I said 'can be' as there are times when it can only go down to 11 yds, still good enough for your application.