.22lr Winchester SuperX - 1300 fps - 40gr

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

.22lr Winchester SuperX - 1300 fps - 40gr

Post by chuckjordan2 »

I picked up the above today at WM. With the shortages going on, can't be too picky. For CLA-SB. I normally use Fed. AutoMatch (1200 fps) which is classified as Std. Vel. My thoughts were to use them on the Rams only, which is where I have not been droppping them (with low body hits using Fed AutoMatch).

Thoughts? Normal HV (to me) is over 1240+ fps. I'm not sure if this is considered hyper vel. I never bought that hyper stuff and don't intend to. At 100 yds the velocity (per mfg.) drops to ~ 1050 fps.

I was leary because it was 1300 fps, yet, other HV is normally at 1260fps. Many at our club use HV on CLA. So, what's 40fps more? Again, using this in CLA-SB only.

Specs:
Winchester Super X
40gr solid copper-washed/plated
1300 fps
link: http://www.winchester.com/PRODUCTS/RIMF ... LRSS1.aspx
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Re: .22lr Winchester SuperX - 1300 fps - 40gr

Post by PhxShooter »

Before you shoot that ammo at standard CLA SB targets you might want to chronograph it. The Winchester link you provided does say 1300fps BUT that is out of a 6" barrel. Depending on your barrel you may get considerably higher velocities.

It's a simple solution to avoid possibly damaging the targets.
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Thanks, don't have a chrono. That's why I thought someone here may have already used this stuff. BTW,shooting would be out of a 39A.

What doesn't make sense is that it's a 40gr boolit. Most hyper ammo is under 33gr (that I read about)? The case is the same length as my std vel. There's only so much powder that can be dropped in that casding with a 40gr.

Also, if I use it only on the rams, it's vel. reportedly drops (by factory specs) to 1050. That's std/sub-std vel.

Thanks again,

Chuck
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

I know a couple of people that shoot it in 39A's, in fact after trying it in mine I bought a case of it last fall when it was on sale a Cabela's to use. Fairly accurate and good results at the Rams.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Bob,

Any concerns on target damage? Since I don't,t have a chrono, I don't know if the vel. is mislabeled or ?

Thanks for more info. I'm going to wait for more info from others. I have a request on RFC for vel.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

chuckjordan2 wrote:Bob,

Any concerns on target damage? Since I don't,t have a chrono, I don't know if the vel. is mislabeled or ?

Thanks for more info. I'm going to wait for more info from others. I have a request on RFC for vel.
None for the SB Levergun targets at several ranges that I know it was used, however I wouldn't use it on the regular SB targets though.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Steve Tapp
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Steve Tapp »

I have used win super x for 20 years on both sbhp targets and 1/5th scale cast and A36 (hot rolled steel ) targets with 10 & 14 inch contenders and ruger 10-22s and henry's and marlin 39a's. I have never damaged / broken any Targets any where that I've shot even 25 yard IHMSA Chickens. So, don't worry. and enjoy the good lower priced ammo while you can. Shoots sub m.o.a. groups in my T/C Contender Carbine 21" tapered barrel after Below 300 cryo-accurizing procedure. Steve Tapp
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Thanks for all replies!

Good discussion.