Winchester 42gr subsonic due out this week

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Winchester 42gr subsonic due out this week

Post by snaketail2 »

Midway announced ghat the new 42gr ssubsonic round should be ready to ship this week.
Get on the list if you want to be notified. Reasonable price too.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Winchester 42gr subsonic due out this week

Post by Merlin »

Thanks. I will try them... You never know.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Why can't I find these on Winchester's website? I love the Subsonic they've been selling the past few years. It puts a wallop on squirrels!
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Midway kinda jumped the gun on the announcement. Now they are saying they won't have them until the fall. They have been available in New Zealand and Australia for a couple of years. A friend 'Downunder' sent me a sample five-pack (I think he broke all sorts of laws in the process). In my CZ 452 they made a nice clover leaf at 50 years with one "flyer" 3/8" to the left.
I will be in line to buy when they are finally available.

Michael

PS: Look on YouTube for Winchester 22 Max
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Um, I think they are in stock there right now.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/318922 ... oxes-of-50
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

7/13 - Bought a brick and from the cost of shipping I seemed to have bought the postman a tank of gas too!
I bought mine at 6:30am, and they were out of stock by noon.
Michael
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Winchester’s new 42MAX, a 42 grain subsonic hollow point bullet from Australia.

Tested in Tucson, Az July 20, 2013. 86 degrees, 60% humidity, varying winds.

All tests shot in a CZ 452 Varminter with Muller 8.5-24x44 at 18 power. A benchmark was shot using PMC Target ammo, it shoots almost the same as Wolf in my rifle.
Seated, from a bench off sandbags, at 50 yards, I fired 5 rounds to foul the barrel and a dial in the scope with PMC and fired 5 for the record. Next I used the Old Winchester 42gr Silhouette round (discontimued) – same procdesure – fire 5 to foul and then 5 for record. I did not clean the bore between tests. Third 50 yard set was Winchester 42MAX. The scope “zero” was the PMC benchmark shots. No adjustment to center the test rounds.
Then I moved to 100 yards and did the same procedure with PMC, Winchester silhouette and Winchester 42MAX.

I tried all three in a .22 Kimber conversion on my Kimber 1911 target model. None of them would cycle the slide. 25 yard accuracy was identical. My Kimber likes Federal Champions and little else – no conclusion for handgun use.

My conclusion: The new Winchester 42Maz, 42gr hollow point round is OK. Not as accurate as I had expected, but certainly accurate enough to offhand competition when shooting SB Rifle Silhouette. (Note: I can usually shoot a ragged hole with PMC or Wolf at 50 yards. Today I didn’t shoot that well and perhaps I'll will get a one-hole group next time…)

Bottom line – I will use these when shooting Small Bore Silhouette matches. The effective accuracy was not much different from a round I’ve had some success with this summer. I like the quiet subsonic round, it smells like all other Winchester .22s. It is not a replacement for the expensive stuff. It is OK, but just OK.

Will I but it again?
The only way to answer that is to see how I feel after shooting the new stuff in competition – shooting offhand is vastly different than shooting from a sandbag rest. If I win with it I’ll buy more, if I don’t win I’ll with 42MAX I may switch back to Wolf.

I stopped in Wallmart the other day at 7am. They had a lot of ammo. It sort of looks like .22 ammo is going to return to the store shelves. Availability will have an affect on my buying decisions.
Comp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Thanks for the update on the newly released Winchester ammo! I too hope that the shelves will start filling back up.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Every horder in the USA must have a shelf full by now. I hope it rots in their basements. They will never shoot the stuff.
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

Jerry G wrote:Every horder in the USA must have a shelf full by now. I hope it rots in their basements. They will never shoot the stuff.
May their brass turn green, and their lead frost! =)) =))
MR. James Wesley Rawles, did warn that one day, 22 ammo would become the new currency!
Shall we always pray for the best, but plan for the worst.
Stay Safe
Mark
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

A couple of guys were asking for .22 shorts at a shop yesterday but then settled for two, 325 count, boxes of Automatch for $20 each. The shelves in this shop were well stocked new rifles and pistols so maybe the fever has broken.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I'm seeing it get better in Southern Arizona too. I went to Wallmart at 7am and they had a case of Federal AutoMatch. The guy at the counter said I could buy the case - but I only bought two boxes, at $16.

Friday I wanted to go to the range and shoot some of my neglected .22s - I took my Kimber 1911 conversion and my Ruger 10-22 that has way more invested in it than my wife will ever know.
Everything went bang, the Kimber is still fussy about what it likes to eat - I think it is still not broken in well, may have to polish the slide some.
Anyway, the last thing I did was shoot some of the Winchester 42Max in the 10-22. The target below is 10 shots at 50 yards, from a sandbag, no wind, cool and cloudy day. The new ammo is starting to get better for me!
Mic 50 yd 42Max.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

In stock at Midway this afternoon...

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

I received the notice at 16.59 (was on notify list) it was available. At 17:02 I logged on, out of stock. You have to call if you want them. One brick limit. $68.19 shipped.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

When I logged in it said the same thing but still let me order. I go a notice an hour ago it has already shipped.....

TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer