Aguila Super Extra (SV) in cooler/cold weather

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Aguila Super Extra (SV) in cooler/cold weather

Post by chuckjordan2 »

At this month's November match we had morning temps in the upper 30's - lower 40's. I had 4 no-fires on my Aguila SE Std. Vel. during the entire match. In a CZ 452 Amer.

The rim had a slight indent, and, after cocking the bolt (second time) I had proper ignition. I also had more misses at the rams (than normal) and believe the POI was maybe 2-3 inches low.

Anyone else experience poor ignition of Aguila in the cooler weather? During Spring, Summer, and Fall I've never experienced any mis-fires. Always lights-up properly.

This spring I started keeping a log of my matches with notes. With that said I cannot recall if I had a similar issue last winter with this same ammo. I've only been using the Aguila for 1 year. Before that I was using CCI-SV (paper box) and had zero issues.

Disassembled the bolt, and it's clean as a whistle. I also use a low viscosity oil on the bolt parts (spring, firing pin, etc).

So, it could have been:
1) a few cartridges in that box (50) with a bad prime
2) cold weather impacting POI (I guess I need to get to the range to validate POI)
3) poor shooter forgetting that temperature has an affect on velocity

feedback?
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Aguila Super Extra (SV) in cooler/cold weather

Post by teetertotter »

I know one fellow in our group that uses the Centurion brand, which is the American name through CMP. We shoot our Frosty Iron match the last Saturday in January every year, and he has not had issues with FTF.

I will be putting my Aquila Match Rifle to the test January 26, in my 452 LH, American at our Annual Frosty Iron match.

For me, I would not be concerned as we don't shoot outdoor October through April.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Teeter,

Thanks for the reply. I see your in Beloit and I know the temps get cooler there (I used to live in No. IL) and had friends in WI. Mom still lives there and maybe I'll need to make a summer trip there and visit ya'll.

Went to the range yesterday and wanted to try Eley Sport, Aguila Match Pistol, and for grins Federal Auto Match.
All at 100 Yds:
- Eley Sport was grouping 1" - 1.25" to the left in a 1.25" 20-shot group (one group was .50" until it opened up)
- Aguila Pistol Match also grouped 1" - 1.25" left in a 1.25" 20-shot group
-Federal Auto Match was center in a 1" 20-shot group (first 5 shots were .25"). that shows it's more of a QC issue.

Stupid me, I didn't bring and Aguila SV to test. I guess that means I need to go to the range again soon!
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Chuckjordon,

I shot CCI SV for couple years and later was leading up my barrel and did shoot every time in our Frosty Iron Jan 12. In April, 2012, I tried my friends Centurion SV and bought a brick from him. I then ordered a couple boxes of Aquila Match Rifle from MidwayUSA. It turned out the Match Rifle was more consistent at 100 meters....etc and now using Aquila Match Rifle.

Remembering, I went to the range a week ago and temp was in the low 40's and shot 30 rounds at the chickens as wanted to check my "0" setting. I first shot 5 rounds on paper to check zero. It was perfect. All 45-50 rounds fired in low 40's temp. I will leave things be for the Frosty Iron Match in 2 months.

Shoot me an e-mail at jonnvic@att.net and I will e-mail you our 2013 shooting dates. We had Roger Sebesta travel from WY last year and Greg Engel, several time JR National Champion, join our State Championship this past August. Our 2013 dates are on our website club calendar too. Our Outdoor matches start in May and end September. Our dates will be in Shooting USA Magazine too.

With family here, I hope you will be able to join us sometime. Perhaps you know of the Sycamore Club, northern IL. They no longer shoot sanctioned matches, only for fun now. Another Club, west and north of Milwaukee, has 15-20 SB Silhouette shooters and shoot for fun. Pretty sad.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Our "Frosty Iron Match" was last Saturday in 25F with 25 participants. Seven Classified and 18 unclassified entries shooting 40 rounds. My Aquila Match Rifle did NOT fail. All I can say is my last bank of animals was 8 Pigs and 14/40. I had no discipline in my follow-thru! Match Winner was 23/40. Aquila held up well in 20's temp if you consider that cold.