SK ammo

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

SK ammo

Post by kevinbear »

Had a first today, I was sighting in my 1712 after installing a new scope and stuck a bullet in the barrel. I was shooting at rams when it happened, at the shot a very faint report was heard and nothing happenend down range so I checked the case first and found it was split, looking down the barrel it was very dark! On further inspection the case was very clean on the inside-no powder.
I came home and was surprised by how far the bullet had made it down the barrel on primer power only. The bullet pushed easily back out the barrel to the chamber leaving a nice engraving of the rifleing on it. I've stuck a few centerfire bullets before while working up squib loads but never on this expensive a rifle and maybe only once or twice ever on a 22lr.
With the quanity of 22lr ammo made it's amazing it doesn't happen more often. First time ever for quality 22 ammo and my 1712, hope it's the last time.
Kb
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: SK ammo

Post by Jason »

Sounds like it had nothing to do with the rifle or whether it was an expensive one or not, only the ammo if it truly had no powder in it. What ammo were you using?
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Standard Plus, I didn't mean to insinuate that there was a quality or design flaw in my Anschutz, my concern was that a case blew up in the chamber and there was a bullet stuck in the barrel of my favorite rifle! With ever gaining popularity of SK ammo I hope they aren't sacrificing quality to boost production.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Kevin, at least you were smart enough to check the barrel. That would be the end of your 1712 barrel if you had sent another one down the pipe. I have an old Mossberg barrel with THREE bulges at different places down the barrel from some yahoo sticking bullets. No doubt they were messing with some of that Aguila ammo and not smart enough to clear the barrel.

Last month at a silo match I had shots 7, 8 and 9 on the pigs drop 5" low with SK STD+. I still can't figure it out. All three shots dropped exactly the same amount and centered the rail. Shot number 10 came back up to POA. I still haven't figured out if this was ammo, gun or scope as it was a weird fluke. I would blame it on myself except that the shots were perfect breaks on the center of the pigs. I should have taken a photo of the impacts on the rail. They were all three perfectly in line across the rail and straight down from the center of the pigs. This is out of my 54MS.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

=)) =)) =)) ...read this one here at work. Could not wait to get home to post, sooooo......

I will bet that was one of the "send off " bricks you bought off me before you moved. I had that same problem at the Iron Man in Montana two years ago. Cost me a least 5 targets !! I went back to the truck for another different lot number brick and had no further problems. I put the rest of that brick aside for practice or to sell to some un suspecting sucker in the future. =)) Enjoy the rest of it, at least I did not rape you on the price. :lol:
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

You bastard!!

Haha!
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Sorry ' bout that ,Dude. :mrgreen: I totally forgot about that little problem at Iron Man. Must have got that brick mixed in with the others.

Look up that "Dang rimfire ammo" thing I wrote...it has the suspect lot number in it. Check yours for a match.

You better not use that ammo this weekend at Jacksonville, 'ol Huey might just beat ya! :D
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

That punk may beat me anyway! I'm gonna go Tanya Harding on him and even things up. Haha.

I'll find that old thread and check lot numbers. It's the only time I've noticed a drop like that. Could be the gun too. My headspace is a little on the tight side and I can feel the bolt close hard on some cases which I am assuming have thicker rims. This gun has a mismatched bolt.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

I practiced again this morning with the same ammunition and had some unexplained very low shots, it is ammo that Dave gave away as prizes at Aurora. Lot# 22243/14084
I only have 3 boxes left from a carton, just for curiosity's sake I'll shoot a group with it on friday.
Kb
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Trent, before you left one of the guys who I will not mention wanted several of us to bring some junk ammo to the match so as to put together a carton of "gift ammo" for you, I brought in a box collected from the bottom of my shooting box and from the floor of my gunroom-all SK headstamp. That would make for some poor scores for sure!!!!
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

kevinbear wrote:I practiced again this morning with the same ammunition and had some unexplained very low shots, it is ammo that Dave gave away as prizes at Aurora. Lot# 22243/14084
I only have 3 boxes left from a carton, just for curiosity's sake I'll shoot a group with it on friday.
Kb
Yep! That is the lot that I had dropped shots from. Well, I only have about 200 rounds of that lot left so I'll just set it aside for practice. I am going to try to go shoot in the morning before it gets stormy and I'll test a different lot that I have two cartons of. I need to figure out what ammo I want to order before Pe Ell sneaks up on me.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

kevinbear wrote:Trent, before you left one of the guys who I will not mention wanted several of us to bring some junk ammo to the match so as to put together a carton of "gift ammo" for you, I brought in a box collected from the bottom of my shooting box and from the floor of my gunroom-all SK headstamp. That would make for some poor scores for sure!!!!
I used that stuff. Shot my best scores! :mrgreen:
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Trent wrote:That punk may beat me anyway! I'm gonna go Tanya Harding on him and even things up. Haha.
Who's that? :shock:
Baby Huey
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

CZforlife wrote:
Trent wrote:That punk may beat me anyway! I'm gonna go Tanya Harding on him and even things up. Haha.
Who's that? :shock:
You'll have to Google it youngster.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

kevinbear on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:50 am

I practiced again this morning with the same ammunition and had some unexplained very low shots, it is ammo that Dave gave away as prizes at Aurora. Lot# 22243/14084
I only have 3 boxes left from a carton, just for curiosity's sake I'll shoot a group with it on friday

i WOULD TAKE A REAL CLOSE LOOK AT THE CASH PRIZES FROM CO TOO..........You just can't trust most of them.................... :ymdevil: =))