Aquila Match vs Wolf Match Target

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Aquila Match vs Wolf Match Target

Post by Trent »

Skip Starbucks... that is crazy talk.
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Trent wrote:Skip Starbucks... that is crazy talk.
Finally someone who understands!
Baby Huey
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I had to sight-in my 452 American this past Sunday eve with Aquila Match Rifle using my old Simmons 44 mag scope. Even though both sides of our Silhouette range are tall pine tree lined, there is a 15 meter break and usually get a slight breeze. My 3 shot groups are usually within a 1.25 inch diameter circle or a little less off sandbags at 100 meters. When I reached the 100 meter bench Sunday eve,, the flags were dead calm. My three, 3 shot groups were no bigger than the size of a nickel or approx . fitting a .900 diameter circle. I don't measure center to center as don't have a caliper, so measure paper tear edge to edge using a coin. I had 1900 rounds of the Aquila Match Rifle through the barrel when sighted in Sunday eve. I am pretty happy with the Aquila Match Rifle the past 3 months at $35.00 a brick including shipping. Their Match Rifle is a little better than their SV in my rifle. I switched to the Match Rifle 3 months ago.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Kevin makes a really good point. Just assuming as you mentioned being new on the intertubes that you might not have had a chance to peruse cathy winstead's site. She sells SK and lapua for really good prices and is a super top notch silhouette shooter to boot (if shes at a match there's a better than even odds shes going to win).

Check her stuff and prices out.

http://www.goodshootinginc.com/

Cheers!
Res ipsa loquitur
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Wow, this is an old post, can't believe it's resurected. I switched to CenterX about a year ago, life is to short to shoot cheap ammunition!
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

To funny. I thought I would resurrect to see what new responses there might be. What do you think, would the Wolf Match give about .75 inch at 100 meters off sandbags, for example vs Aquila's 1 inch in my 452 American?
For me at my high A class level with wobble issues, I don't think it would justify me to pay $10.00+ per brick more for the Wolf. I'm just trying to make comparisons or justification with not that much difference in accuracy at 100 meters.

For you AAA + shooters, for example, What would be your difference in score with ammo that is 1 inch group vs .75 inch group at 100 meter off sand bags and then switch to off hand for score?
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

I tested a bunch of different lots of Sk standard last spring, the local match director gives it away as prizes so I end up with 2-3 boxes of 10 different lots in a couple of years. I also tested several different lots of SK rifle match and centerX.
Several interesting things were found.
1. Some lots of standard shot very poorly, a lot that I got from a fellow shooter was so bad he sent back and they replaced it.
2. It's possible to get a lot of standard that is exceptional when shot in any 1712.
3.The same thing can be said of rifle match except that I have not seen any that didn't group less than 1.25@100m.
4. CenterX always groups under 1" at 100m and with some lots in the .6's.
5. And I've saved the best for last because this I feel is important in silhouette, CenterX has very little variation in the average feet per second from lot to lot. What that means in the real world at the range is I can order a couple of cartons of it tommorow and the zero's from a lot I bought last summer won't change. No more checking zero's and messing with knob's, show up at the match and practice form and follow through, then shoot!
I may have slight differences because of the temperture but that's to be expected.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Thanks Kevin. My typical Aquila Match Rifle will fit the size of a 1.25 inch diameter circle and best was no bigger than the size of a nickel in 3 shot groups off sandbags. My second lot of of 5 bricks had a huge difference in elevation adjustment. I buy 5 bricks at a time from a local dealer. But after adjustments, the accuracy remained the same.
Practicing is easier said than done for me. I don't have that real passion and work at it when the mood grabs me.

How I interpret my group size is what I go by and is usually a jagged straight line at 100 meters. I just need to practice on the skills as you stated. My Aquila Match Rifle is good and is consistent within the same lot.