Velocitor for 39A

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Velocitor for 39A

Post by Tancred »

Hey Everyone,

Since I don't have a rifle dedicated to Pistol Cartridge Silhouette, I was thinking about trying CCI Velocitor in my 39A. Any concerns about that ammo in that rifle that I should be concerned about? I'm assuming Velocitor is legal for PCS.

Thanks,

Tancred
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Velocitor for 39A

Post by BCloninger »

Wow! Muzzle velocity for the Velocitor is 1435 ft/sec and it's copper washed. I'll need to check the rule book for PCS, but small-bore Silhouette would disqualify it because of velocity, and the copper wash is widely believed to rough up bores. That's a pretty hot hot round so I would definitely look for something else.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Bob, I believe that he's asking purely because the velocity is high enough that he's hoping to be able to take down the thicker pistol cartridge cowboy targets using that in his 22lr rifle.

Tancred,

I have tried the Velocitor rounds at PC targets, and I have watched others try it. While you will get a couple more rams with that load than you will with regular "high velocity" 22lr ammo, it still won't reliably take the PC rams down. It's definitely legal to use on them, though. When I was using it on PC targets, I was just trying to find something to shoot while I tried to scrounge up the cash to get a pistol cartridge rifle. I still got only half or so of the PC rams that I hit with good body hits, but it let me shoot the match and have fun. It shot very well in my rifle, too, outshooting all but two standard velocity match ammo types and about even with Federal Automatch. The only downside was that I had to keep two separate sets of sight settings for smallbore and PC targets, as the Velocitors are definitely "hyper-velocity" and not legal for smallbore cowboy matches.

If you're just wanting something to give you a little better chance of knocking off a pistol cartridge cowboy target, then the Velocitors will do the trick. If you're wanting something reliable on rams, nothing out of a 22lr will do it.

- Jason
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tancred »

Jason,

Thanks, that's exactly what I was asking about. I know any 22 LR is a poor substitute, but don't know when I'll be able to get a rifle just for PC. In the mean time I'd like to shoot PC. Was afraid Velocitors might damage my 39A.

Thanks,

Tancred
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Thanks for setting me straight, Jason!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Byron
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Byron »

Tancred:

I tried the velocitors and had less luck than Jason. Had some success with aiming high towards the head with my regular 22 ammo.

Byron
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Actually Byron used some of my leftover Velocitors and I laughed at him along with the rams when they didn't fall. =))
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tancred »

Guess I better start looking for a long barreled rifle in 357 mag. Maybe by the time I find one I'll have the money.

Tancred
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

You'll hear lots of opinons, but the 357 is a good choice for PC. Look for a deal on a Puma Legacy in 357 with the octogon barrel. It won't break your budget and it's a good shooter.
ppkny
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tancred »

thanks for the info, ppkny
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

You might try the agila interceptors. They are 40 grain 1470 ft/sec and so far have taken most rams at Ben Avrey in AZ. We use self standing targets and if you hit them in the foot you will loose them, but, 9 out of 10 fall if you hit them in the body. Plus, they shoot great in my 39a.
tim
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

I tried the Velocitors when I was using my 22LR in PCCLA and couldn't get any more rams to fall with them than using the High Velocity Federal Champion 510s.... I think it's because the Velocitors have a hollow point bullet and doesn't hold together or have the dwell time on the target that a solid bullet does. I have tried the 40gr Aguila Interceptors and they seemed to be a bit better at taking the Rams, but even then it's not what I'd consider more than 50% effective on Rams, at least with center body hits. Probably worth it if you only have a 22LR gun though. I cannot imagine any of them "harming" any lever action.... 22LR is a pretty hearty barrel.... Most of the 22mag versions of the same gun use the 22LR barrel blanks, at least that I'm aware of.

I've also tried the 60gr Aguila SSS, but it also doesn't seem to drop Rams any better than the 40gr Federal 510s. Not enough velocity with the Aguila 60gr bullets, plus some barrels won't shoot them accurately at ALL.

If you want PC Rams to fall consistently, 22mag is the absolute minimum. However even it is not 100% effective on Rams. I'd classify it as a good 90-95% effective using 50gr Federal 757 ammo, much less using the 40gr 22mag ammo on Rams (40gr works fine on the C-P-T PCCLA lines). I still shoot a 22mag in PCCLA when I don't have 357 ammo loaded.

25-20, 32-20, 32mag, 38/357 are all pretty much the only ones I'd consider 100% effective on Rams.

my .02,

-Tim
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I shot with a fellow Saturday who used Velocitors - just average results. I know that every .22 likes a different round, but none of mine have been happy with the Velocitor - With all the variables you face why not eliminate the accuracy issue. CCI Standard Velocity will do much better.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Since we're evidently reviving this topic, I'll provide some updated testing information...

My results with standard velocity ammo (CCI SV, SK Std+) were that only around 25% of pistol cartridge rams fell with mid-body hits, and any that hit lower on the body were pretty much sure to not take the ram. Even a few of the hits in the head failed to take it down. The results were slightly better with ~1200fps 40gr solid bullets like Mini-mags and Automatch, getting about 48% falls with mid-body hits. The Velocitors faired slightly better still, taking 62% of the pistol cartridge rams down with mid-body hits. My daughter shoots a 22LR for both smallbore and pistol cartridge cowboy, so I was trying to maximize her chances of rams falling if she hit them. All testing was done from the bench with at least 20 mid-body shots from each type of ammo on a dry day with feet set even with the rear of the pad on the rails. The results showed that it was worth using the Velocitors for pistol cartridge rams if shooting a 22LR, but the advantage was not enough to make up for lack of accuracy if a particular rifle doesn't like the Velocitors. Luckily, her Henry shoots the Velocitors very well.

I also agree that there are no factory 22 Magnum loads that are 100% reliable on pistol cartridge cowboy rams. I shoot a 22 Mag for that match and use modified versions of the 50gr Federal loads that shoot ~200fps faster than the factory loads, which provides both more momentum on the target and increased accuracy due to the extra velocity making the bullets spin faster and stabilize better. I agree that a 25/20 might be better suited to the match, but mine seems to be working fine. At our last match, I missed my first turkey due to yanking the trigger instead of putting the rifle down and starting over like I should have. That forced me to settle my mind down and I ran the next 39 animals, including all 10 rams. :)
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Jason wrote:.................. I shoot a 22 Mag for that match and use modified versions of the 50gr Federal loads that shoot ~200fps faster than the factory loads, which provides both more momentum on the target and increased accuracy due to the extra velocity making the bullets spin faster and stabilize better. I agree that a 25/20 might be better suited to the match, but mine seems to be working fine. At our last match, I missed my first turkey due to yanking the trigger instead of putting the rifle down and starting over like I should have. That forced me to settle my mind down and I ran the next 39 animals, including all 10 rams. :)
Jason,
Are you pulling the bullets and using a different powder like some of the foks are? If so shoot me a PM with how you are doing it as I may try a few.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)