weeding out flyers ???

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: weeding out flyers ???

Post by BCloninger »

Many matches will allow the 1200 fps, but some will restrict ammunition to subsonic. 1100 fps? You might also try S&K, a very good ammunition several people moved to when Eley got too high. I'm told it shoots to the same zero as Eley. I like Eley Target for factory barrels and Club for custom barrels.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I have never been to a range that questioned what velocity ammo I was shooting. The rules rule out the real hot stuff like stingers. Big deal, they don't group worth a damn so why even bother.

When you switch ammo that has a different lube, be sure to clean your barrel. Mixing the different lubes is not good for accuracy. Note that the lower grades of Eley have a different lube than the expensive stuff.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

You may also want to refresh the lube on Eley you've had in storage for awhile since the wax can dry out.
- C.S. Lewis
ShooterP14
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShooterP14 »

Jerry G wrote:I have never been to a range that questioned what velocity ammo I was shooting. The rules rule out the real hot stuff like stingers.
Innocent wrote: do not forget that some ranges do not allow high velocity ammo because of the damage it does to the chickens especially.
Innocent
Not at my match! :-o [-x I ask every new shooter what ammo ther are using and I'll will loan (give) any competitor some of my Eley Sport before I'll let them use high velocity ammo on my targets. If I can hear the bullet "crack" when it's fired :-t I ask them to use different ammo.

I once got into an argument with a person over what was "standard" velocity. His argument was "since most of the ammo you get at Wal Mart and other stores was greater than 1100 fps. then this must be the 'standard'." ~x( Since I was running the match the argument didn't last long. He took me up on the offer to use my ammo and a good time was had by all. :-bd
The Wonderful White Winged Warrior - He's Everywhere! He's Everywhere!
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

The sound is a give away! Sonic ammunition, especially from a short barrel, is distinctive and distracting so other shooters dislike and peer pressure can force folks to change even if they want to argue.
- C.S. Lewis