Ammo Suggestion

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
pistolero45
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Ammo Suggestion

Post by pistolero45 »

One ammo that has been flying under the radar is Winchester Subsonic, which is manufactured in Australia.

My daughter did a physics project testing several brands of .22 shells in her CZ452. I was impressed and tested the Winchester Subsonic further in my other .22 rifles. What I discovered was, the Win. Subsonic shot just as well, and sometimes better than Eley Silhouex and SK Standard Plus. I bought three cases.

Shipments into the US are rather spotty. Natchez Shooter Supply and MidwayUSA both list Winchester Subsonic (X22LRSUBA) at $3.39 per box and it is almost always out of stock.
Mark
pistolero45
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pistolero45 »

Bass Pro Shop just got some Winchester Subsonics in stock. Price is $2.99 per box. Part number 38-872-133-01

I don't work for either Winchester or Bass Pro Shop, but if anybody wants to send me a 10% "finder's fee", I'll gladly accept it!
Mark
Quonset Hut
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Quonset Hut »

pistolero45 wrote:Bass Pro Shop just got some Winchester Subsonics in stock. Price is $2.99 per box. Part number 38-872-133-01

I don't work for either Winchester or Bass Pro Shop, but if anybody wants to send me a 10% "finder's fee", I'll gladly accept it!
Thanks for the tip. My 30 boxes shipped today. I went to a Bass Pro Shops store here in Michigan two months ago looking for the subsonic, but they had not even heard of it.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

tee, we all shoot at 40m, 60m, 77m, and 100m on this site. Sometimes I'll even shoot the SB at the HP chickens at 200m for fun. I have seen lots of stuff that groups well at the closer distances and goes to hell at 100m. If the ammo will group at 100m it will be fine for the closer distances.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Jerry G wrote:tee, we all shoot at 40m, 60m, 77m, and 100m on this site. Sometimes I'll even shoot the SB at the HP chickens at 200m for fun. I have seen lots of stuff that groups well at the closer distances and goes to hell at 100m. If the ammo will group at 100m it will be fine for the closer distances.
Yes, that is the meter distances I meant. The pictures posted a few posts back look like for Pistol Silhouette. The bigger they are, I like! Pictures are hard to tell size wise. It must be nice to get together with a bunch of similar like rifle shooters and have some fun in some open country. I will be back trying Winchester Wildcat 22 in my 39A. It was probably me shaking all over that day using the sandbags for sighting in. You have good days and bad days. Second chance to see if better than Remington Target for my rifle for my specific application. Federal 510 and CCi HV, rd nose are not as good at 100m in my rifle. CCI costs twice as much too. I will keep experimenting.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

After having trigger work to 2-1/2lbs and ejector corrected on my 39A, I retried Winchester's Wildcat 22 this afternoon. Dime size at 40m. Happy with that for now and will sight in at the other distances when Spring arrives and see groups. Also, will recheck Federal Champion 510. Checking out the cheap ammo first as are readily available 2 local stores. CCI HV is 2x's as $$, but will give it another try as still have some. Trigger work made big improvement on my accuracy or maybe I had less coffee! I hope using Winchester's Wildcat proves to be very accurate for my 39A. People have said cheap stuff has worked best for them in these rifles. I hope my case will be the same. I had a good day sighting in at 40 meters with the Winchester. Before I left the range as did yesterday and today, I set up the PIGS on the chicken stands and loved that! Maybe will substitute with pistol chickens. Ya......Good Idea.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Mark, you said you (your daughter) had tested the WW subsonic. I am curious, I bought a case about eight months ago and I shot a couple of matches with it this year. I had some missed calls with it at rams, so I tested it at 77M, 100M and 150 yards. What I found was that it grouped well to 77 meters then started showing quite a lot of vertical spread at 100M and even more at 150 yards. At 100M typically 7 to 8 rounds in a nice 1 1/2 cluster and then 2 to 3 rounds about 2 to 4 inches low. At 150 yards a nice cluster of 7 to 8 in three to four inches and then 2 or 3 shots about 8 inches (low) out of the group. Similar results in two different rifles. I don't have a chrony, so I've never tested SD on them---but was wondering if your daughter did and also what results she had and at what distances.
For now, I stopped shooting the WW Subsonic in silhouette.

Thanks.
Hawk-1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hawk-1 »

I've tried to ww subsonics in 2 different annie 54s. for chickens and pigs ok. turkeys started to open to quarter or a little bigger. Rams, 2 to 3 inches. Just for comparison eley practice...quarter size or just under at 100m. (5shot groups) 10shot groups usually only a quarter inch more. cci standard v. just about the same. would have to use a caliper to know the difference. Each gun has sweet spots. Keep testing you should get better by far than 2 or 3 inches at 100m.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Tee, I guess range limitations and weather put a crimp in testing ammo but........ I do believe that testing at 40 meters is a huge waste of time. I have found ammo that groups at the shorter ranges and then goes to hell out at 100m. You man or may not realize that the lube has an effect on bullets. What I mean is, when you switch from one brand to another they use different lubs and that will affect your tests. You do need to clean your barrel when you change brands. Be sure to shoot some in the dirt after you clean to get your rifle to settel down. Eley doesn't use the same lube on all of their ammo so don't let that mess up your tests.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I'm still trying to find the best for my Marlin 39a which is the only rifle I have. So far, the CCI Blazer is dime size at 40M, dime plus at 60, Qtr size 77, and 1-1/2
inch dia at 100 meters off sandbags. I tried some CCI std and HV and no good off sand bags. Winch target and wildcat no good, Federal champion no good, Aquila Centurian no good, Remington target and golden no good. That is all the ammo that is available in our 2 local stores. One member said to forget subsonic or std for this rifle. I had to try the std velocity to a certain extent. I'm happy with the BLAZER with current price of $20.00/Brick at our Farm and Fleet store. Earlier this year it was $15.00. Having fun which is important and can now find time to practice 3 times a week including match night. Just thought would comment on ammo progress thus far for my 39a. I am not the most accurate shooter off bags either.
Mt_Medic31
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Mt_Medic31 »

I have a 16" heavy barrel 10/22. I get 0.8" groups with it using Wolf MT ammo. Cabelas has it for $50 for 500 rounds. A close second was CCI std velocity.
DOPE? Boy, do I look like a hippy to you?
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Jerry G wrote:Tee, I guess range limitations and weather put a crimp in testing ammo but........ I do believe that testing at 40 meters is a huge waste of time. I have found ammo that groups at the shorter ranges and then goes to hell out at 100m. You man or may not realize that the lube has an effect on bullets. What I mean is, when you switch from one brand to another they use different lubs and that will affect your tests. You do need to clean your barrel when you change brands. Be sure to shoot some in the dirt after you clean to get your rifle to settel down. Eley doesn't use the same lube on all of their ammo so don't let that mess up your tests.
Jerry, rest assured, my barrel is cleaned, with first 10 shots in the dirt, before testing each ammo. With 1-1/2 inch dia at 100m with my Marlin 39a, using 1235fps, off sandbags, using local store off the shelve various mfg's ammo. CCI BLAZER is best so far. We have an Evergreen tree break line at 77M to about 90 meters that might effect my accuracy too. I have not gone back to a super calm day to resight as this is pretty good from a 39a with High Velocity ammo. Some days I can have a 4 click difference at that distance. I'm happy my 39a prefers low cost ammo.........so far. Mid last month I came away with State Class A first place medal. Then, Scott presented me with another medal for best or oldest Senior this year. It think it was b/c I was the only Sr that made it this year......well I do know is a fact! We have a regional coming up in 2 weeks and will be aiming for a 5 PIN. Course there are very few and faaaar in between that use a 39a in this sport. I always get many looks, and some that want to try out with my 6.5-20x44 scope. I gladly say yes. My special distance specticles has made an improvement this year too, through the scope.
Hawk-1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hawk-1 »

teetertotter, if you are getting 1.5 inches at 100meters with a 39A, and blazer ammo, you are good as gold. I will debate that with anyone in the USA. I have seen many .22 target rifles with ammo costing 2 times that ammount that struggles to do as well. Hang in there and you will move up in class before you know it. good shooting!!!