Newbie Rifle Barrel Question

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Soonlobo
Unclassified Poster

Newbie Rifle Barrel Question

Post by Soonlobo »

The decision for a new rifle is down to a Remington 700 SPS .308 26" heavy barrel; a Remington 700 SPS 7mm-08 24" barrel; or a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm-08.

Please list the pros and cons of each as you see them. It's a tough decision for me as the appeal of using the 700 in .308 for F-Class is something of a factor.

Another issue is the heavy barrel versus medium barrel for silhouette. Do the Rem 700 and Tikka 7mm-08 barrels heat up enough to effect accuracy during a Silhouette Match?

Thanks!
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Newbie Rifle Barrel Question

Post by Jerry G »

If you are shooting silhouette;

The heavy bbl will only be used in the standard class
The light bbl can be used in both classes
The 308 has way too much recoil

My thoughts on the rifle;

Remington's quality has slipped in the past few years
The Tika is a good rifle

For F class and silhouette my first choice would be some 6.5mm and second choice would be 7-08

Good luck with your search.
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

For F-Class there is a decision you are going to have to make. What class do you want to shoot in f-class? If you shoot FTR (tactical rifle class) then you are restricted to a 308 or 223 rifle. 223 will not work well for Silhouette. 308 can but certainly depending on the loads can be punishing. But for FTR you can weight up the rifle to 17 pounds.

If you shoot the rifle in open class then IMHO either cartridge 308 or 708 will put you in a disadvantage to open class rifles. Many have switched back to shooting a 7mm bullet but from a 22 pound rifle and at velocities 708 cannot make.

So if you were going to start with one rifle go with 308 and do some serious load development with reduced loads.

Greg
Soonlobo
Unclassified Poster

Post by Soonlobo »

You both bring up good points that I have considered and thus my dilemma.

I have looked for a 7mm-08 with a heavier barrel but all I've found is a Savage (good rifle) that has been difficult to locate.

May be best to get different rifles for the different types of shooting.

Regarding the Tikka, there are plenty of T3 Lites, not many T3's to be found. I'm guessing the T3 Lite 7mm-08 does not have issues with accuracy when the barrel heats?

Thanks again for comments...
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

IMHO in neither F-class or Silhouette you shoot enough rounds to heat a barrel to the point it should wonder.

Greg
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

The Tikka T3 Lite is a good rifle for silhouette. If you can find a T3 Forrest, I'd get that for offhand shooting. Remington is probably only good for a donor action to be rebarreled although occasionally a factory one will shoot well enough. I prefer a 6.5mm bullet to a 7mm bullet but either will work. Don't worry about heating the barrel. Barrels are supposed to get hot - that's one of the things that makes highpower so much fun.

I don't know anything about F-Class. Sorry.

Dustin
Soonlobo
Unclassified Poster

Post by Soonlobo »

dustinflint wrote:The Tikka T3 Lite is a good rifle for silhouette. If you can find a T3 Forrest, I'd get that for offhand shooting. Remington is probably only good for a donor action to be rebarreled although occasionally a factory one will shoot well enough. I prefer a 6.5mm bullet to a 7mm bullet but either will work. Don't worry about heating the barrel. Barrels are supposed to get hot - that's one of the things that makes highpower so much fun.

I don't know anything about F-Class. Sorry.

Dustin

The more I read the better the Tikka 6.5 looks.

What loads do you 6.5x55 shooters run with the 140 grain and 142 grain bullets?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

142 gr pushed with 4831. Run it at about 2650fps. It's a nice slow burning powder so you don't have the pressure problems you have with fast burning powders. Only drawback is 4831 is hard to run thru a powder measure because of the long grains.

Have fun with the Tika.
Soonlobo
Unclassified Poster

Post by Soonlobo »

Jerry G wrote:142 gr pushed with 4831. Run it at about 2650fps. It's a nice slow burning powder so you don't have the pressure problems you have with fast burning powders. Only drawback is 4831 is hard to run thru a powder measure because of the long grains.

Have fun with the Tika.

Interesting!

My dad left me an 1893 7mm Spanish Mauser and in my research I found they used the equivalent of 4831 in their original loads. I found that powder works great in my rifle so I have plenty to work with for the 6.5.

The Tikka 6.5 looks like a winner.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I'm using 4831SC in my Tikka T3 6.5x55 with great results. 107 SIE 4831SC 46.5 gr. 140 SIE 4831SC 44.5 gr.
ppkny