Hunter Rifle Question

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
lesterf
B Poster
B Poster

Hunter Rifle Question

Post by lesterf »

I cannot locate my rule book at the moment, but can a factory solid bottom action (single shot) be used for a hunter rifle. I know 40x single shot rifles are legal in smallbore, but does the same apply to high power?
dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

Hi lester
As long as the original action was single shot ,ala 40x, it can be used in
hunting rifle just like smallbore. The only stipulation is it must have a tapering barrel and it cannot weigh more than 9lbs including sights.
eg A custom taper barreled s/s 40x within weight would be legal.

cheers
dryfire
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Sorry to disappoint you but single shot rifles in HP Hunting rifles are not allowed only SB single shot rifles, HP rifles must be repeaters unless they are like the Ruger #1 or other single shot rifles with two piece stocks.
dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

Lester
My apologies for misinforming you.
and
Lone ringer
Thank you for the insight
Thinking about this ,it is a really stupid ruling.
What honestly is the difference between a 54.18 s/s converted for hunter
versus a 40x s/s converted for hunter HP ?
The NRA should give its head a shake to see if they hear any marbles.
They should be petitioned to have this changed.
I appreciate intention and spirit of the game
Regards
Andrew
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

lone ringer wrote:Sorry to disappoint you but single shot rifles in HP Hunting rifles are not allowed only SB single shot rifles, HP rifles must be repeaters unless they are like the Ruger #1 or other single shot rifles with two piece stocks.
Not to question someone who has WAY more experience than I do, but 3.1.1 says "with the exeption of single shot rifles, all other types must be repeating rifles, which shall be fired by loading all cartridges from the magazine or clip into the chamber, the intent of this rule is to describe a common hunting rifle."

So is the comment in 3.2.1 (SB hunter) "identical to the description of HP Hunting Silhouette Rifle except that (a) the rifle may be a single-loading rifle" what makes the distinction, or the "intent....to describe a common hunting rifle" from 3.1.1 the dealbreaker.
IMHO a 40X is no less a "common hunting rifle" than a Pharr stocked, Lilja barreled, pillar bedded, tuned trigger 700 with a magazine.........

3.1.1 seems pretty vague by stating "single shot rifles" and not differentiating break action or falling block actions from single shot boltguns. There are plenty of single shot varmint guns available now box stock from the factory........

With all respect, I'm not trying to stir the pot, just a FNG trying to learn.
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Hunter rifle

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

Loneringer, and Dryfire
Single shot rifles from the factory are allowed on the Hunter class, see NRA rule 3.1.1 QUOTE A hunting style rifle, chambered in a factory cartridge, and having a maximun weight of 9 lbs., including sights,and if applicable, an empty magazine or clip, with the exception of single shot rifles, all other types must be repeating rifles etc.
I have been shooting a 40x single shot in both classes for the last 20 years, several times at the Nationals, and never had any problem getting it certified.
Evelio
Evelio
dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

Evelio
Thanks for that info.
That rekindles my faith some what in the NRA . It seemed logical
that if custom s/s (eg 40x) are allowed in SB then why not in HP.
I just wish I lived US side of the 49th to have you convert one of my 40xes for HP.
Cheers
Andrew Patchett
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Evelio, HP hunting rifles have not had to be to be chambered to original calibers since 2005 but as far as I know bolt action single shot rifles have not been allowed because if they had a lot of us would be using them already.

The question came up as early as last year and Greg Connor said they would not be allowed, you may want to check with him to see if he changed his mind.
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

HUNTER RIFLE

Loneringer
Just got off the phone with Greg Connors, and he confirmed that factory original single shot rifles are perfectly legal for High Power Hunter Class, aka. Rem. 40X, Ruger no.1 and Thompson Contenders. A Rem. 700 with a welded floor plate, single shot conversion is not allowed, IT MUST BE AN ORIGINAL FACTORY PRODUCED SINGLE SHOT ACTION. Any of the real expensive single shot actions used on benhrest matches are also legal.
Also any caliber 6mm or larger are also permitted, except of course no Magnums.
Evelio.
Evelio
dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

Evelio
Thanks for making the inquiry for all of us. Up here in the perma-frost
information is kinda slow to receive but Greg Connors is as close to the
horse's mouth as you can get.
Cheers
Andrew
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Evelio, thank you very much for calling Greg and confirming that it is legal for us to use bolt action single shot actions. I have a Kodiak and a XP 100 with a solid bottom that I could use to build my next HP Hunting rifle but I will wait till others do it first. I would not want to spend a lot of money in the project to have the Silhouette Committee reverse the rule and make it illegal.
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Hunter Rifle

Tony
I have a 40x in 308 that I shot in hunter class for many years, I also have an XP-100 in 7-08 that was also shot in the Nationals in Hunter class with no problem. I just build a 260 in a 40x for hunter class for a customer, and if I can find some time, I am pulling the 308 barrel of my 40X and will rebarrel it to a 6.5 x 47 Lapua to be used on Standard, and Hunter class.
Regards Evelio.
Evelio
propwash
B Poster
B Poster

Re: HUNTER RIFLE

Post by propwash »

Evelio Mc Donald wrote:Just got off the phone with Greg Connors, and he confirmed that factory original single shot rifles are perfectly legal for High Power Hunter Class,
Are you saying the rifle or the action? Would custom single Actions be legal I.E. Bat, Stiller, etc....

If you rebarreled your 40x to 6.5 X 47 is that considered factory?
dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

Propwash
It appears from the info that Evelio received from Greg Connors that
s/s custom BR actions can be made into hunter rifles and
custom chamberings like 6.5x47 are also legal.
So if you have a spare 40x send it to me and I'll get Evelio to build me a
new hunter :lol:

Dryfire
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Hunter

Propwash
Any single shot action that is available to the general public ( factory build ) is legal to be used on a Hunter class rifle, and also any caliber 6mm or larger that is available commercialy wether is made in China,United Kimdom, or where ever, is also legal.
Actually there is not much restrictions left in the Hunter class, except no thumbhole stocks, 2 lbs. trigger, tapered barrel, and 9lbs. weight.
As far as I am concerned, you can hand a Rem. 700 that will shoot 1 1/2 min. of angle, with a descent scope to one of the top shooters, and they will still shoot winning scores .
What can I say, is always 95% on the driver.
Evelio
Evelio