Steel question?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
old sparky
B Poster
B Poster

Steel question?

Post by old sparky »

I am wanting to shoot my 223 and 22-250 at steel. These will be my own targets! Can I shoot 22 caliber on steel without damage at 100 - 400 meters? I have some 24" round 1/2" mild steel already but never shot them but if that won't work I will buy ar500 steel

Thanks
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Steel question?

Post by High Speed »

I don't believe mild steel will hold up to those rounds for long. It can get technical, but I think you will be better off with the 500.
Stay Safe
Mark
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

old sparky wrote:I am wanting to shoot my 223 and 22-250 at steel. These will be my own targets! Can I shoot 22 caliber on steel without damage at 100 - 400 meters? I have some 24" round 1/2" mild steel already but never shot them but if that won't work I will buy ar500 steel

Thanks

It should work fine as long as you like holes :-) You will have to go with ar500.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Mild or rolled steel is too soft. A.R. 500 is very hard and works but work hardens and fractures quicker than say AR 400 or T-1. Scarcity of T-1 or 400 is an issue. T-1 works the best because it is a high yield steel thus combined hardness with just enough give to avoid brittle. There are other armor plate alloys but they are too costly and difficult to work with. All welds should be pre-heated :)
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

For rimfire, mile steel is just fine.

For highpower, T-1 or 400 works just fine.

I believe any rifle spitting out a bullet over 2900fps will damage any target at distances under 300m.

At 800 yds my 243 will poke a hole in 1/4 inch mild steel.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

I've bought lots of steel targets from Quality Targets and haven't had a single failure yet, if they say it'll take a hit and not be damaged they back it up. My problem with ordering anything from them is deciding what to order and how many, lots of really neat targets that are priced right!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/sch/qualitytargets/ ... pg=&_from=
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

kevinbear wrote:I've bought lots of steel targets from Quality Targets and haven't had a single failure yet, if they say it'll take a hit and not be damaged they back it up. My problem with ordering anything from them is deciding what to order and how many, lots of really neat targets that are priced right!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/sch/qualitytargets/ ... pg=&_from=
You will find Kalvin at Quality Targets very helpful, he will get you what you need. There products, and pricing is second to nun.
Stay Safe
Mark
old sparky
B Poster
B Poster

Post by old sparky »

I ordered a set of three from Calvin good price! I got a 8", 10" and 12" with free shipping for $115 at least this will get me off my lazy and shoot some

thanks
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

old sparky wrote:I ordered a set of three from Calvin good price! I got a 8", 10" and 12" with free shipping for $115 at least this will get me off my lazy and shoot some

thanks
You'll love them, because I'm frugal {cheap} I pick up nylon straps off the highways from trucks , 4" works the best for the bigger targets but 2" will work as well to hang them. I get scrap metal or old realtor signs and weld supports on them for stands. When you hang them make a loop with the strap and put both ends on the back side of the target, this makes the target hang at an angle so the bullets are deflected downwards into the ground.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
Whitesheep
Unclassified Poster

Post by Whitesheep »

Try out shoot steel here: http://shootsteel.com/

Their stuff is all laser cut AR500. Sign up for their site and you will receive notice of special offers that can reduce their prices quite a bit. I got some blemish steel at a deep discount. Not sure what "blemished" means when you are going to shoot a HP rifle at it.

+1 on not shooting mild steel with a HP rifle. I shot a hand gun spinner at 200 yards with a .308 and it just about punched through the 3/8" of steel. Pretty much ruined that spinner.