Heavy 6mm bullets

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Heavy 6mm bullets

Post by whale »

Kevinbear,
Were those the Tubb's DTAC that you were thinking of using? When my .243 gets back from the smith I will be able to shoot them. Seems a little better than 105 and 107 bullets by Berger and Hornady.
Whale
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

whale wrote:Kevinbear,
Were those the Tubb's DTAC that you were thinking of using? When my .243 gets back from the smith I will be able to shoot them. Seems a little better than 105 and 107 bullets by Berger and Hornady.
Whale
Yes, I finally got around to working up a load for them and used them in the state match, if I remember right I only lost a couple of ram's with several low center hits successfully toppling them.
When the hunting seasons close I'll start thinking more about such things again, been considering having the gun rebarreled again with no changes except 2" longer barrel, that would boost the muzzle velocity of the 115's over 2750fps which could make them very reliable at taking rams.
It all comes down to the possibility that my 1712 may need a new barrel in 2015, that project could really suck down the fun money fund down.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Your going to need a tight twist like a 1 in 7 1/2 for those tubb dtac's.... How many rounds do you have down the 1712 that you are replacing the barrel ? Did the barrel get damaged ?
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

malinois wrote:Your going to need a tight twist like a 1 in 7 1/2 for those tubb dtac's.... How many rounds do you have down the 1712 that you are replacing the barrel ? Did the barrel get damaged ?
My current 6x47barrel has a 1-8" twist which works fine for the 115's, it groups well at 500m.
Not sure on the round count for my 1712, I shoot quite a bit and it's 11 years old, it's probably getting close as the groups have opened up a bit in the last couple of years.
GabbyJs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by GabbyJs »

I have two .243 Win. and three 6BRs with 1-8" twists. All shoot the 115 DTAC accurately, at least for HP Silhouette. I think my success on rams has probably been around 80% with descent hits.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Its good they are working for you... not usally the case with 1-8 twist.. The 22 barrel though might need a check to see whats up...most go for 100 of thousands of rounds with no issues...
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

malinois wrote:Its good they are working for you... not usally the case with 1-8 twist.. The 22 barrel though might need a check to see whats up...most go for 100 of thousands of rounds with no issues...
Like I said not sure on the round count, I think it's somewhere between 5-7 cases, I've heard that they won't group mid-grade ammunition under an inch@100m after 10 cases. You either spend money on high grade ammunition or get it rebarreled and shoot mid-grade.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

I would have thought barrel life is a lot better than 30-70 thousand for a good 22lr ? That sounds like a good topic to explore......
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Mark Pharr or Evilio Mcdonald would know for certain.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Yea I would love to know.....what the BR guys and prone guys say about barrel life... I have usally heared bad cleaning technics do em in more ofthen then round count .. a very good topic inded..
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

malinois wrote:Yea I would love to know.....what the BR guys and prone guys say about barrel life... I have usally heared bad cleaning technics do em in more ofthen then round count .. a very good topic inded..
What cleaning?? ha ha ha
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

A couple of months ago before the weather turned bad I shot a few groups with my 6x47 at Gary's farm and it grouped terrible, like 3-4". I've been trying to track down the problem and found that a poorly made shellholder was skewing the cases and bullets off centerline. I had bought several new ones last summer so I wouldn't have to keep moving them from machine to machine during the reloading process, both were very poorly made.
Anyways I've been off work for the last week with the flu and managed to put together some test rounds with .002 or less run-out, turned/fitted necks, drilled and chamfered flash holes, squared and cut primer pockets you know all the BR case prep stuff.
It was cloudy but relatively warm this morning so I went back over to Gary's and shot groups again. I shot the 95 grain Sierra load first and they strung up and down I'm guessing because my cold medicine fogged brain forgot the benchrest at home and I had to shoot over a rolled up Carhartt jacket, still the group was a vast improvement over the November groups.
When I tried shooting the 115 DTAC groups the cold medicine was giving me the jitters so I let Gary shoot them. The first shot got away from him but the next 4 were really tight, like in the high .01"s.
Pretty much have no excuse for missing rams with the 115's.

DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

kevinbear wrote:
malinois wrote:Yea I would love to know.....what the BR guys and prone guys say about barrel life... I have usally heared bad cleaning technics do em in more ofthen then round count .. a very good topic inded..
What cleaning?? ha ha ha

Just for the record he does not believe in taking showers either. :ymalien:
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Seems to like those 115 DTACs! You might have to have Gary shoot your matches for you though.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Trent wrote:Seems to like those 115 DTACs! You might have to have Gary shoot your matches for you though.
Gary's highpower game still needs some work, I'm going to try and get him out a few more times this year, hell I'm going to try and get myself out more!