Heavy 6mm bullets

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Heavy 6mm bullets

Post by kevinbear »

Anyone shooting the heavy 115grain 6mm bullets on rams?, if so what have you found to be the most reliable MV for taking them? I emailed Sierra and they said the BC was .553 at the muzzle with a MV of 2650fps, they also said the foot pounds of energy at 500m is 950. Last time I was out I managed to knock down 5/5 targets hit with that load and was surprised when a low center hit toppled a ram {probably luck}. The state tournament is coming up so I've got highpower on the brain, again......
Last edited by kevinbear on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Heavy 6mm bullets

Post by Jerry G »

I tried them and couldn't see the difference from the 107s. They did cost more.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Right now I have my 7mmBr barrel on my Savage. But ditto...when I have the 6mm Br barrel on I shoot A-Max 105's or Sierra 107 Mk with no diffrence that I could see with the Tubb bullet. I shoot the above bullets slow and they seem to work better in the 2500 fps Range.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

There seems to be two schools of thought on the 6mm's and 6.5mm's, either load them to 2700+ or coast the little bullets along at 2500, someone down at the national's was talking about running their ram load at 3000fps, wow!!!
GabbyJs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by GabbyJs »

I found that a 6mm 115 DTAC pushed by 29 grains of Varget chronographs at about 2715 fps with my 26" barrelled 6BR. It seems to be more reliable on rams than the Sierra 107 MK on the same animal. I bought them back when the "getting was good" at $85/500. I really like the 6BR, and think that it is a much better performer than the 6.5BR for HP silhouettes.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

GabbyJs wrote:I found that a 6mm 115 DTAC pushed by 29 grains of Varget chronographs at about 2715 fps with my 26" barrelled 6BR. It seems to be more reliable on rams than the Sierra 107 MK on the same animal. I bought them back when the "getting was good" at $85/500. I really like the 6BR, and think that it is a much better performer than the 6.5BR for HP silhouettes.
The ram targets at Colorado Rifle Club laugh at 107MK's launched at 2700fps from my 6x47!! That extra 8 grains seems to make the difference most of the time unless the wind is from the NW then guys lose a few of them with 6.5's and on occasion 7's let alone my mouse gun.
As to your 6br, I wish I had a 26" barrel on mine, could have easily gotten 2700fps from a 115grainer.
Post a picture of your rifle.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Love the 6br, its a great caliber for traveling lite... usally my go to barrel for long matches away from home since I only carry one bullet weight instead of two when I shoot my 7br barrrel.
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Kevinbear,
Thanks for asking this question because my uncle gave me his old 243 rifle. It needs a new barrel and possible new stock. That's why I got it. I was wondering about using it for silhouette shooting with the heavy bullets ( 107-115 ). If not I don't know what I will use it for except practice. Thanks.
Whale
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Whale, a lot of people in this area swear by it for deer hunting.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

whale wrote:Kevinbear,
Thanks for asking this question because my uncle gave me his old 243 rifle. It needs a new barrel and possible new stock. That's why I got it. I was wondering about using it for silhouette shooting with the heavy bullets ( 107-115 ). If not I don't know what I will use it for except practice. Thanks.
Whale
Most 243's have 1-10" twist barrels, heavy {long} bullets sometimes won't stabilize well enough to keep from tumbling when fired from them.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

If you need to rebarrel it anyway, you can have your choice of cartridges that have the same case head side and length. Most of the ones we use in this game fit those requirements.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

If I was going to re-barrel a 243, I would go with a 260 cal. You can use all your old brass and have a sweet shooting 6.5. :-bd
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

All my 260 brass is my old 243 brass. Still getting life out of them so no need for more cash out just a few bucks for an expander is all and the 243 competition dies work for 260 as well just need a new sizer button!
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

When making my 7br brass I used the same expander in my neck turner....works great and then the necks were ready to be turned...
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Thanks guys. However, my 7mm-08 also has a 260 barrel. I will be keeping the gun in .243. My uncle was happy with my decision that he also gave me his S&W 5906 pistol which is in great condition. Now I have to get 9mm dies.
Whale