New to the highpower game need advice.

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
trx498r
B Poster
B Poster

New to the highpower game need advice.

Post by trx498r »

Alright guys I'm new to the highpower game I'm needing some equipment tips. I'm having a rem 700 in 260 built by merrier with a 26" lilja match barrel. I've been reloading a couple years but just for hunting and pistol shooting. Looks like il be shooting lapua 260 brass sierra 107s and 142s with varget. Looking to get a good case trimmer, 260 dies and a accurate consistent scale. I'm using a good ol rock chucker press. Any help will be appreciated.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: New to the highpower game need advice.

Post by Snake »

If you're using a conventional press then Redding dies are the best. I like the Wilson case trimmer and I use a Hornady automatic charge thrower 'cause its fast and scale checked but the RCBS is a dandy. Good Luck :D
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

If you shoot reasonable loads (under 2700 fps) it should be a long time before you have to trim a case. I have a Forrester that trims to length and diameter at the samew time. Every time I reload my 6.5X47 I put the case in the trimmer and spin the handle. I have about 4 reloads on some of my cases and have yet to see any brass come off. I have some 243 brass that has been reloaded at least 15 times and I get a little brass shaving once in a while on them. I do believe that after about 10 reloads you should aneal the necks to avoid cracking. There is a good video on U-Tube showing how to do that.

Remember that we arn't shooting benchrest so you don't need 1/4 min groups. Have fun shooting.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Yeah Lapua brass is the cats ass. I haven't trimmed my 6.5 brass yet but they are getting close to needing annealing done and will check them all then for length. I deburred and trimmed the necks when new but I don't think they needed that even. A little brass did come off but nothing much.

Remember you don't need full boat power loads except for the Rams and even then you can drive them a bit to fast and have them explode more than push depending on the bullet etc. Reduced loads is where its at.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
trx498r
B Poster
B Poster

Post by trx498r »

What size bushings are u using in the redding die for lapua brass?
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

The bushing size all depends on the thickness of your brass....you will need to measure your cases to arrive at the correct size. Which is twice the thickness of the case at the mouth plus the bullet diameter .. subtract how much grip you want on the bullet.. .002 or .003. Oh and go with titanium nitride bushings you will not be sorry.
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

I use a Wilson case trimmer but will be upgrading to this bad boy in the near future.

http://www.btibrands.com/product/platin ... ep-system/

Tried it out on the way back from the iron man at 3 forks reloading shop in cle elum Washington and fell in love. As Tim Taylor used to say. "more power!"
Res ipsa loquitur
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

If you like that bad boy check out the Hornady Case Prep Center. It does cost a bit more but does a lot more, I have caught them on sale below $350.00, plus a rebate of 500 free bullets. This is what I use.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Loa ... ep-Center/
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I didn't see 6.5 listed in the specs. What to do?