100 yard HP silhouette targets.....

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

100 yard HP silhouette targets.....

Post by OnaginOffagin »

The only high power range I have within a reasonable driving distance only offers 100 yards .... can anybody teach me how to scale the four animals to that distance? For paper practice targets? Upscale the smallbore? I know that smallbore ram looks about right, but what about the others? I desperately need high power practice!
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 100 yard HP silhouette targets.....

Post by ppkny »

You probably don't need animals silhouettes if you just want to improve your hold and trigger release. One method that works to discipline your shooting is to just set up circle targets starting with maybe a 4 inch. Once you can get 90% of your shoots in that than reduce it to a 3 inch and so forth.
ppkny
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

The 1/2 inch thick chickens at 200 M take a beating. All animals at 100 would have to be about 1 inch thick and made out of T1 steel. Plan on doing a lot of welding on the pads when the welds break. They will take a hard beating at that distance.

All targets at 100 yds in relation to full size HP targets.

Chicken - 50% - 1/2 size
Pig - 33% - 1/3 size
Turkey - 25% - 1/4 size
Ram - 20% - 1/5 size - same size as the SB ram.

I do think you would be better off shooting at paper targets at that range. The holes in the paper don't lie or make up stories about your hits and misses like some spotters do.

I hope that helps you.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Jerry G wrote:The 1/2 inch thick chickens at 200 M take a beating. All animals at 100 would have to be about 1 inch thick and made out of T1 steel. Plan on doing a lot of welding on the pads when the welds break. They will take a hard beating at that distance.

All targets at 100 yds in relation to full size HP targets.

Chicken - 50% - 1/2 size
Pig - 33% - 1/3 size
Turkey - 25% - 1/4 size
Ram - 20% - 1/5 size - same size as the SB ram.

I do think you would be better off shooting at paper targets at that range. The holes in the paper don't lie or make up stories about your hits and misses like some spotters do.

I hope that helps you.
It does, thanks to both you and ppkny. I plan on making paper targets, but I don't have real HP ones to scale down. I think I need to scale up smallbore targets! I've thought about figuring out what percentage the smallbore targets are of 100 (c 40/100, p 60/100, and so on).....and then printing them out "boosted" to see what they'd look like proportionately at 100 yards or meters......should get close enough, huh? If not, I'll go with ppkny's suggestion and shoot at paper circles..... I think I'll buy some cheap "seconds" bullets, and load em' up to about 2600 to try and duplicate the recoil....
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

I agree that really you should practice shooting at a spot or a circle on paper at 100 yds....You can develope a lite load and go from there. I got a load from the sierra people for my 7mm using H4895 and a 120 grain bullet. it still booms and gives the feeling of shooting HP, But more ofthen then not if I am shooting at 100 yards only I just pick up the Smallbore gun and have at it with it and save my HP barrel life for the real thing.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Attached is a PDF of all the targets scaled to 100 yards that you can print out and shoot at.

Dustin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

dustinflint wrote:Attached is a PDF of all the targets scaled to 100 yards that you can print out and shoot at.

Dustin

There it is! There it is! Thank you, Mr. Flint, sir...... appreciate it greatly!
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

You are very welcome. Hope you have a blast with them.

Dustin