New Rifle for HP / Brand choice

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
dgswen
Unclassified Poster

New Rifle for HP / Brand choice

Post by dgswen »

Hey guys, anyone use a Weatherby Vanguard / Howa 1500 for HP Silhouette? Anyone have any comments, or pros/cons, or experiences with these brands?

Everybody and their kid uses Rem 700 or customs, and a custom action out of my budget at this time, and everything ive read or seen puts the Howa action equal or maybe better than a Rem action. Judas, i know but....
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: New Rifle for HP / Brand choice

Post by hermit5 »

I tried one in 308.I had to install a Timney trigger to get it down to 2lbs.Would be suitable to get started.The Timney trigger is for sale $60 shipped.
dgswen
Unclassified Poster

Post by dgswen »

The new series 2 vanguard have an excellent 2 stages trigger. I have a vanguard s2 in 7mm mag which I really like.
There are now plenty of aftermarket parts for the howa/vanguards, I guess I'm just trying to mentally reconcile with the almost complete lack of representation of howa/weatherby in silhouette or tactical competitions. I can't tell if it is just a matter of history/fanboyism or if I'm completely missing something that is not talked about.
Jim T.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jim T. »

I shot a Vanguard S2 while working up loads for my cousin's 7mm-08. Action works, but is a little crude for my tastes. I think it would make a great "starter" rifle, but you will have a long wait to see them make a representative showing on the Silhouette firing line. I suspect it is not "fanboyisim" that drives most custom action builders to pattern their actions after Remington Model 700 actions. Good luck with whatever route you take.
dgswen
Unclassified Poster

Post by dgswen »

No, I agree probably not fanboyism, the Rem actions are great, strong, smooth etc, I grew up on them. But the same could be said for every other action, I wonder what particular trait set the one path over the other.
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

Hermit5,
Do you still have the timney trigger for the Vanguard?
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

dgswen wrote:No, I agree probably not fanboyism, the Rem actions are great, strong, smooth etc, I grew up on them. But the same could be said for every other action, I wonder what particular trait set the one path over the other.
Call it fanboyism, patriotism or whatever you want, why would you want to buy a second rate Japanese copy of a rifle designed in and still built in America? I doubt seriously there's any real difference in the prices between Weatherby and Remington, both have had minor quality control issues off and on over the years so that's hardly a reason for shipping more money and manufacturing overseas.
Go over to Japan and see what there shooting, oh yea, they can't own guns, great country to support with your gun money. :roll:
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
dgswen
Unclassified Poster

Post by dgswen »

Sorry, I stumbled over your blind rhetoric.