Cooper Rifles

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Cooper Rifles

Post by whale »

Just returned from Pennsylvania. Went to look at a Cooper rifle in 7mm-08. Any thoughts? The fit and finish of the wood and metal was first rate. I know the price is high, but that is not always a negative. Thanks.
Whale
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Cooper Rifles

Post by dustinflint »

I cant give you a review of Cooper rifles from personal experience but I would not buy one for silhouette - I think they are too expensive for what you get. If I was going to shoot an off-the-shelf rifle for highpower silhouette I'd get a Savage or a Tikka. If I really wanted to spend a lot of money for an off-the-shelf rifle, I'd get a Sako. All of these are accurate enough for silhouette and tried and true. Reinventing the wheel in this game can be expensive and frustrating - pretty much everything has been tried and there is a reason that most of the experienced shooters tend to use very similar equipment.

Dustin
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

I agree with what Dustin said, the Cooper's are beautiful, but high priced. You can't go wrong with a Tika for a first rifle in 7-08 or 6.5x55.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Gleedaniel13
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

I guess it is really expensive for the guns like that but I don't care for the price if the quality is good.
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your input. I agree with Gleedaniel13 that if the quality is good I don't mind the price. I will be purchasing a Cooper in 7mm-08. I still have a fondness in my heart for blue steel and beautiful wood. I will be using it for silhouette ( don't know if it will make weight ), hunting and target shooting. Not much difference in price from a Sako. A least I will have some nice eye candy to shoot along with my dedicated silhouette rifle. Thanks again everyone.
Whale
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Whale what I think hasn't been stated is that for the price of a cooper you can get a custom rifle built by several different peeps around the country. I'm not sure where you are but both of my high power guns were custom builds and came in around the $2500-$3k range. This is cooper money but the primary difference is I have a rifle that fits me perfectly and has all of the options that I would want to customize (no ejector, single shot etc) right the first time.

One of the biggest things in my limited experience with high power is making sure your rifle has the right length of pull and fit for shooting off hand as opposed to the bench. Just a thought to keep in mind.
Res ipsa loquitur
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

I built my current rifle on a Savage single shot target action...and love it. It does the job is accurate and when I need a new barrel or get tired of whats on it and want to try something else i screw the barrel off and put a diffrent one on poof in ten minutes. Oh and did I mention I can change the bolt heads too and go into another class of calibers...223 cases...308 or magnums presto changeo.
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Bigfoot and Malinois,
I have a custom built high power silhouette rifle in 7mm-08. I asked about the Cooper rifles because I liked the look and feel of the one that I handled in the gun store. Also, I can go to the factory and have one built for me. This wouldn't be my primary silhouette rifle, but I would shoot it at the range in weekend matches. Thanks.
Whale
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Malinois,
I can also change the barrel in my HP rifle. I was going to order a .260 Remington barrel this fall/winter. I just purchased a savage 12 series varmint model in .204 Ruger for a varmint hunt; plus ammo and scope. The new barrel and dies will have to wait. Thanks.
Whale
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Every so often a really incredible 7-08 will show up at Cove Creek outfitters, I would probably use one for silhouette occasionally just to make my cohorts salivate! I see where your coming from, I've always wanted one as well, love the wood and those test targets...wow.
This is a nice one but not spectacular.
http://www.covecreekoutfitters.com/gun- ... ted-barrel
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Whale,
I guess you own a Savage also..... Nice rifles huh !!!. Very adaptable.
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Kevinbear,
I was salivating just holding the rifle in the store! They are nice.
Whale
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Malinois,
I am now the owner of a new savage rifle. This is my first one. If it shoots just as good as it looks I should have a great varmint hunt. My gunsmith recommended savage for the varmint hunt. He stated that they are building some good rifles these days. I have to give thanks to Trent for information on the .204 Ruger cartridge.
Whale