Info about the Browning X-Bolt

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Info about the Browning X-Bolt

Post by whale »

Hello everyone,
Wanted to know about the Browning X-Bolt. My nephew wanted me to purchase him a Browning X-Bolt White Gold so he can let his girlfriend shoot his Remington 700 that I purchased for him. However, after looking at the gun myself I might purchase one and give him my 700. Any thoughts people? Thank you and good luck at the NRA Nationals for small bore.
whale
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Info about the Browning X-Bolt

Post by BCloninger »

My older son bought a Browning X-Bolt in .308 and really likes it. Accuracy is good, and the action is slick. Bore smoothness is on par with a Remington 700, less smooth than a Savage, and naturally much rougher compared to a custom barrel like a Broughton. Trigger is decent, which is good because I doubt there are very many aftermarket parts. He did get a Bell & Carlson stock, but the bedding is a little rough, particularly around the recoil lug, so I expect to do some work there.

In short, they're competitive rifles in a very competitive price-point. They're more desirable than the Mossberg, Remington 783 or Ruger American, more available than a Remington 700, and less expensive than a Ruger. The only other comparable rifles I've looked at recently are Savage and CZ (gotta love that classic Mauser action!), and I ended up buying a Savage in 260.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Thanks for the review BCloninger. I will also check out the CZ. Thanks again.
Whale
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

BCloninger,
I have decided on a Savage Model 12 Varmint rifle in .204 Ruger since I was invited to a hunt. In the fall I will look again at the Browning X-Bolt and the Cooper rifles. My friend recommended Cooper. He told me don't be a cheap b*stard.
Whale
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Whale, keep us all informed on how well the Savage holds up!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

BCloninger,
I will keep everyone informed because I decided to go on the varmint hunt. Also, I will be taking my Ruger AR with me as a second gun. Again thank you for the review of the Browning X-Bolt. Now I will have to start a thread about Cooper rifles. I just drove out to Pennsylvania to look at one after my friend told me to stop being a cheap b*stard. The metal and wood work were well finished. The gun had a great feel to it. Only negative if you can call it that would be the price. Savage + ammo + scope = Cooper rifle.. thanks again.
Whale