anyone shooting with a cant?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
racersteve
Unclassified Poster

anyone shooting with a cant?

Post by racersteve »

In the past I have played with canting the rifle when I was shooting service rifle off hand. Seems like it would be even simpler whith a scope not having to adjust the scope for wind every time you adjust elevation. Have you found it worth the effort?
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: anyone shooting with a cant?

Post by GregG »

There are a number of shooter who do cant the rifle a bit. The cant will vary a bit depending on the stock and the shooter. The object is just to allow the scope to move in front of the eye without tipping the head.

In terms of using a stock such as a Mark Pharr or others the cant for me is not necessary, as there is enough comb that I do not have to cant.

Greg
yankee
A Poster
A Poster

Post by yankee »

Using the idea that bullets fall in a vertical line after being shot. When you cant your rifle you create a couple variables not seen when the scope or sights are directly above the bore. You have off set your scope or sights from the vertical center line of the bore. To help illustrate what happens take a piece of paper and draw a straight line across the bottom. Then 90 degrees form that line take a ruler and draw a line on each side of the ruler to the top of the paper. This will be a view looking down on the shooter. The right line being the line of the bullet from the rifle. The left line is the line of the sight or scope parallel to the bore but offset. Now put a dot on the right line up about 2 inches from the base line. This will be your 200m target. You now see that you have to adjust the windage of the scope to that dot, so draw a line form the base of the left line to the dot. Now you are sighted in for 200m. Now put a dot 5 inches up from the base line on the right line. This is your 500m target. Now you see you have to adjust your windage for the 500m target. So draw a line from the base of the left line to the dot at 5 inches. You are now sighted in for 500. For windage only. You now see that there is a windage adjustment needed for each distance between the muzzle and 500m or further. Along with what ever elevation adjustment you need for bullet drop. This is easy for a scoped rifle as you can rotate the scope in the rings so the crosshairs are vertical and horizontal. But with a rifle with iron sights they are set. If you cant the rifle you cant the adjustments in the sights from vertical and horizontal to an X type of pattern. To make a right windage only adjustment you would also have to adjust elevation and the same with an elevation only adjustment you would have to also adjust the windage.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I have been shooting my scoped HP and SB rifles with a can't for years. I don't have to adjust for windage except for the rams. I usually have to click a minute right, but that may be caused by something other than the cant.
The reason I like to can't my rifles is I believe it takes strain off the muscles in your right fore arm. Simple test, hold your right hand about where you would hold your pistol grip and make a fist holding it at a 90 degree angle. Now lay it to the left at a 30 to 35 degree angle. Did you feel the tension go away in your forearm? It works.
Of course if you are left handed, try it using your left hand.
If you do can't your rifle don't go too far as to allow your chin to rest on top of the stock. The chin gun police will be after you.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

I started canting my HP and SB rifles about a year ago after trying it out on another very good shooter's rifle. Immediately it felt better. I don't have to make any adjustments from Rams to Chickens.

Think of it in reverse... you set your windage (in other words, sight your rifle in) for Rams and by the time you get back to chickens any change in windage is miniscule. I only adjust my windage for... wind. :D

i have heard the theory of the problems of canting the scope but it doesn't seem to actually have much of any effect on the range. (in my opinion)
racersteve
Unclassified Poster

Post by racersteve »

Thanks all for the great feedback. This is my first year shooting silhouette and will try canting once I get some other aspects of the game a little more locked down. Probably in the off season.
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Post by daisy »

Some days I shoot with cant.

:evil: I can't hit a bloody thing