Is this stock legal for hunter class?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
kevoski
B Poster
B Poster

Is this stock legal for hunter class?

Post by kevoski »

I think this is OK but an old thread had me second guessing myself. The rules say "The stock must be traditionally styled and may not be bent and/or twisted so as to deviate from conventional configurations such as factory rifle stocks or silhouette stocks as manufactured by Fajen, McMillan, H-S Precision, and others. The forend, including the trigger guard, mounts and screws, shall not exceed 2.25 inches wide, and 2.25 inches deep, measured from the centerline of the bore. Magazines do not have to conform to stock measurements, but those that extend below the stock line may not be used as support. The forend shall extend a minimum of 8 inches forward of the forward edge of the receiver ring. The comb shall not extend above the centerline of the bore, but Monte Carlo roll may rise 0.5 inch on the off side. The toe of the stock including buttplate or recoil pad shall be no more than 7 inches below the centerline of the bore. Buttplate or recoil pad may not extend below the lower line of the stock."

Since the forend width is 2.265" wide, if I stuck a pencil in the barrel and draw a 2.25" circle around it would yield a 5" diameter. Thus this stock would conform, correct?

A-3™ SPORTER NEW

The A-3 Sporter design is based on customer demand. For years, shooters have purchased McMillan's "A" series tactical stocks as precision rifles. Because McMillan's "A" series are basically designed as prone stocks, the company received numerous requests for a version of the tactical stocks that retained its comfortable vertical pistol grip but was more suited to general hunting and offhand use. The A-3 Sporter is a variation of McMillan's A-3 tactical stock but with the drop-at-heel lowered from 3/8" down to 1" for better stock position on the shoulder for offhand and sitting use. The forearm has been curved in at the top to a "semi-beavertail" type for a more positive grip when hand holding the rifle. The pistol grip is the same as the A-3 and Adj. A3-5 stocks.

It is an ambidextrous stock and can be inletted for most Remington, Winchester, Sako, Tikka and Savage type actions. It can be inlet for most types of bottom metal and the forearm can be inletted for sporting barrel contours up to a Remington Varmint or #5 Douglas type contour. It is an excellent stock for general hunting and field varmint use with the famous "A" series type pistol grip.  Color shown, Mcwoody (34% brown 33% black 33% light brown marble).

SPECIFICATIONS

overall length of stock:  30 1/2 "
approx standard fill weight:  2.25 lbs
depth of action area:  1.850" (this will vary depending on action model)
max diameter action:  1.4"
forearm width:  2.265"
grip width:  1.850"
buttstock width:  1.725"
max L.O.P. with 1" recoil pad:  14.5" (1/2" spacer can be added to lengthen LOP)
drop @ comb:  5/16"
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Is this stock legal for hunter class?

Post by cslcAl »

Kevoski, the rules you posted are for High Power Standard Rifle. Where that is worded Traditional style, Hunter rifle states Hunting Style stock. That stock is too wide in the forend. Also you might have trouble with making the 9 pound weight limit. Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
kevoski
B Poster
B Poster

Post by kevoski »

AL,

What exactly is hunting style? McMillan says this is a hunting and multi purpose stock.

They make a lighter version that is about 1.8lbs that I would buy to try to make weight.

Both definitions for standard and Hunter use the same forend dimensions. How is this too wide?
yankee
A Poster
A Poster

Post by yankee »

Stock fore arm width is to wide Specs state it is 2.265 and rules state 2.250. Easy fix would be to sand it down .015 or better yet .025 inches. You always want things a shade under in case your ruler is different than theirs.
The easiest way to measure the fore arm and toe depth from the center line of the bore is to. Draw three horizontal lines on a large piece of cardboard or paper. The top line is the center line of the bore and the top limit of the comb. The next line is down 2.25 inches and is the lower extent of the fore arm.
The third line is down 7 inches from the top line and is the lower limit of the toe of the stock.
To measure remove bolt from rifle and lay the rifle on its side on the paper. Insert small cleaning rod or drill rod through the barrel and align the lower edge of the rod with the top line on the paper. I use a small square to do this and I use a 1/8 inch drill rod that way I have a 1/16 fudge factor.
The middle line is the lower limit of the fore arm and the lower line is the limit of the toe of the stock.
These measurements can be changed by how deep you bed the action in the stock. Remember the measurements of the comb of the stock should not be higher than the centerline of the bore.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Yes, what Yankee said.

Al
Team Sierra Member
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

[quote="kevoski"]

What exactly is hunting style?

Not trying to be a smart a** here. I am a product of the early 50's and hunting style stocks looked the same then as they do today. All of my silhouette guns have traditional hunting stocks.

kevoski
B Poster
B Poster

Post by kevoski »

Bob Mc Alice wrote:
kevoski wrote:
What exactly is hunting style?

Not trying to be a smart a** here. I am a product of the early 50's and hunting style stocks looked the same then as they do today. All of my silhouette guns have traditional hunting stocks.
That is what I figured. I just wasn't sure why the McMillan A3 Sporter Edge wasn't a hunting style stock.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Well, according to what McMillan wrote there was enough shooter demand to justify making a new mold. So voila...a
new style hunting rifle stock is born. I will admit, it looks good and may well be very comfortable to shoot offhand. I say if it can pass or be modified to current dimension restrictions for hunter gun and make weight....go for it.

Oh yeah, welcome back. Have not seen your name on AZ score sheets in a long time.
ldholton
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ldholton »

Phar stocks aren't exactaly tradtional , but there is a lot of them shot in "hunter" class .
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

There are many Phar and Wooster stocks shot in the hunter class. I have never had a problem with either at the nationals.

To answer the question, If I were running the match and it made weight I would allow it. Just my 2 cents worth.
kevoski
B Poster
B Poster

Post by kevoski »

You guys are reading the rule dimensions as a 2.25" forend but it says 2.25" wide and deep from centerline of the bore including the trigger guard. Measuring from the centerline of the bore should yield a depth and width of the forend of less than 2.25", right? And the trigger guard extends much further than the material on the forend of the stock does that mean most stocks are out of regulation?

And please correct me if I am reading this rule definition incorrectly.

I have never actually measured a stock for qualifications and I just want to make sure I could qualify if it came down to it.

Bob, thanks for the welcome back, but we will see how long this takes to put together if I can ever decide on the actual components of the entire rifle. So far all I have is a action and a trigger...

So if anyone has an extra 6.5 #5 fluted barrel or lighter contour they don't need let me know!
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

6.5 Lapua.JPG
2 1/4 " from the center of the bore to the bottom of the stock in front of the trigger guard is correct. Trigger guard is not included in that measurment. Picture of Standard gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevoski
B Poster
B Poster

Post by kevoski »

Thanks Jerry. I appreciate the clarification. What contour is that barrel?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

It's a 5 with flutes. Notice the piece of foam in the mag well to make weight. The butt plate? is a section of a flip-flop that grips the vest real well.
TC260
Unclassified Poster

Post by TC260 »

This stock may be a better choice. Retains the A-3 back half with a traditionally styled forend. https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-ri ... ame-scout/