Loads for new shooter

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
DaleH
Unclassified Poster

Loads for new shooter

Post by DaleH »

Hi guys. This is my first post on this forum so excuse me if I mess up on any protocol.
I am currently shooting rimfire silhouette and when my new rifle comes through will start on high -power - Tikka T3 in 308 Win.

As I will be reloading my own. I was thinking that there might be more sense in loading to suit each target (Why shoot a chicken at 200 metres with a round that will knock over the ram at 500 metres). Also, why suffer the recoil on every shot whey you can save the hotter loads for the longer distances?
Is this sensible or just too much work?

What have others used as starting loads?

Any advise or input you could provide would be appreciated.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Loads for new shooter

Post by Innocent »

Dale,
There are a few that load for short range (chickens and pigs sometimes turkeys) and then different loads for rams, but I think most of them will admit at least one time they have ended up on the line with the wrong load for the animal they are shooting. There is plenty to keep track of on the line without worrying about whether you have the correct load with you.

YMMV.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Dale, funny thing about your post as I am in the exact same boat. I got a Left handed tikka t3 lite in 308 that I'm going to start shooting soon too. I figured I'd get a little better at smallbore before spending big bucks on ammo for my 308. I'm planning on loading up different rounds for c-p-t and rams. Probably 168 gr for rams. 140ish for c-p-t. I'll have to get out and experiment. There is a guy from SD here, but I don't know his handle, who shoots a 308 maybe he'll share his secrets....
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
DennisC
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DennisC »

I settled on 155gr some years back, hornady or sierra for one load across the course. H or IMR 4895 was powder of choice.... I started with varget under 168mk but developed a serious flinch in process. Was advised go to 180/190 for rams....on no..don't want one that bad.
Might even look seriously at 120+- bullets for chickens/pigs. And yes 155s and 168s WILL ring a lot of rams...focus on how many you're hitting, the more you hit, the more you will ring with any chambering.
Don't forget to have fun ...
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I do think you will want to use 2 different loads. Why beat yourself up just so you can knock a chicken 10 feet back? A real light load for the first 3 animals and something mor for the rams. Don't go overboard on the rams. a 142 gr bullet at around 2700 fps will take them down just fine. Be a little more aware of the bullet construction. A very fast bullet just turns into grey dust when you hit a ram. 1500 ft lbs of energy on the target should be plenty for the ram.
DaleH
Unclassified Poster

Post by DaleH »

Great input - Thanks everyone.

For a new centrefire shooter, this type of support from a forum is great.

I have received various input from an Australian forum ( I am from Oz) and from the guys at the club I shoot at. It looks like the over-riding opinion is as follows:
1. no point in firing a match full of heavy loads if you only need them for the rams
2. 2-3 different loads - either one for C, P, T and a heavy one for the rams (not necessarily high velocity) or one for C, one for P, T and a heavy for rams.

I will probably start with 2 loads and see how I go.

Thanks all again.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Dale, I started this game with a Remington 788 in .308 win. My C P T load was Speer and Sierra 150gr. flat base spitzers with 42 grs. IMR 4895. The ram load was the Sierra 165gr. boat tail spitzer using same 42 gr. charge. The rifle was a nail driver with most any load combo. It never fired a match grade bullet. I sure was glad when the barrel was about wore out. I switched to the 7-08 in a new 700, much easier on the shoulder.

I still have the 788, only now it wears a 7-08 barrel.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

You can do two loads a lighter bullet for C,P,T and one for Rams or you can use one bullet weight and just switch to lighter powder charge for the first 3 animals....color coded ammo boxes will help sort the mess out because it can get eazy to mix them up when you use the same bullet. I use two diffrent bullets and they are diffrent so I dont get them mixed up.