20"
3%

Total votes: 29

JarHeadTim
B Poster
B Poster

WHAT BARREL LENGTH FOR HIGHPOWER SILHOUETTE

Post by JarHeadTim »

As indicated in the subject, what barrel length do you all shoot in Highpower Silhouette?
Semper Fi,

Tim
JarHeadTim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by JarHeadTim »

21 people have looked at this and no one has replied...What you don't like Polls?

I am looking at a Rifle that was built for Long Range Prone and it will probably have to "Lose some weight" to make it...I would like to have your educated opinions on what barrel length is typically shot in HP Sil???
Semper Fi,

Tim
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Tim, I shoot a lot of HP and I like my barrels to be 24 to 26 inches long depending on how much weight I have to spare on the whole rifle and that is why I voted for the 25 inches but anything from the 24 if it makes my rifles feel balanced is OK with me. My hunting rifles have Shilen #5 26 inch barrels. For Standard rifle I like #5.5 or Remington Varmint contour.

If you shoot in mostly windy conditions you do not want to put a lot of weight in front but that is just my opinion. I have seen quite a few of the Hunting rifles that shooters from the North West have put together and they sport barrels that appear to be # 5.5 or 6, 26 inches long.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Tim;

I'm lurking this thread because I hope to add high power to my vices next year and would like to avoid some of the expensive mis-steps made in small bore. Watching and learning seems cheaper than trying stuff until something sticks.

So far it sounds like a 6.5mm variant on a Remington action with a 24"-26" Shilen or Lilja barrel is the executive summary. After that it's learning to reload so practice and competition are somewhat affordable and to experiment with powder loads and bullet weights. Gee, put like that it all sounds so easy!

Thanks for a good thread, and I hope for more responses!

- Bob
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

It's taken me quite a while to figure out that balance is, indeed, a lot better than "muzzle heavy." My new HP is 25" and I may lose an inch or two more. Don't worry about speed at the ram. First, try to get a rifle that handles well so you can hit the three short animals.
The first custom I had built for HP was intentionally muzzle heavy and I was too green to realize that it was hurting my Game (such as it was.)
JarHeadTim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by JarHeadTim »

Thanks Alston....

Would you recommend shorter? My Smallbore Silhouette is too muzzle heavy and I am getting ready to clip the barrel...I didn't want to get into the same situation here.

Also, the rifle in question has the following barrel dimensions...so it is on the heavy side to begin with:

Barrel length - 26"
1.207" immediately in from of the receiver
.938" approx. 2" from muzzle
.750" at muzzle to accept front sight
Semper Fi,

Tim
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Tim, unless you are getting a great deal on the rifle that you are considering buying be careful and check the barrel very carefully because it can cost you more than $500 to get one replaced by reputable gunsmith.

A lot of times when people buy or sell used HP rifles unless the barrel is brand new or with very little use can't expect to pay or get full price for it, on a used HP rifle people mostly pay for the action, trigger and stock without considering the barrel if it is well used.

The measurements you posted in my opinion are of a heavier barrel that you can use for silhouette shooting and you may have to cut it to around 22-23 inches to make weight depending on whose stock, scope, mounts and rings you are going to use. You can compare the measurements of the barrel with the ones Shilen or other barrel makers have for their light weight target barrels. Just my two cents worth.
JarHeadTim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by JarHeadTim »

Lone Ringer,

The rifle in question is owned by a GOOD FRIEND of mine, who is first class all the way. It has 115 rounds through it so it is basically brand new.

My concern is exactly what you stated, how short would I have to go to get the rifle to make weight and is that length unapplicable for HP Sil...
Semper Fi,

Tim
Troy G
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Troy G »

Lilja barrels has a barrel program on their site that will help you calculate barrel weight. Check it out to see what you would have to chop off to get it to make weight. You could also have it re-contoured if you just had to use the barrel. Most barrel companies offer re-contouring of their blanks. I have no idea how this would influence the accuracy of the barrel.

Maybe just try and sell the barrel and put it towards a new one that will allow you to make weight at the length you want and the cartridge you want.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Tim, as stated before you have to consider the weight of the stock including recoil pad and the scope with mounts and rings that you are going to use.

If you pick a stock that is 2 lbs with recoil pad and I have to tell you that there are not too many of those unless you go to a Mark Pharr (R/Ts) stock, others like ones made by McMillan weight more than 2.5 lbs with recoil pad then you have to add the weight of trigger guard and screws. A scope with mounts and rings depending on the brand you pick will be around 1.5 lbs.

That means that you only have about 6 lbs left for the barreled action that will put you at 10 lbs and the limit is 10 lbs and two ounces. If the barreled action is over 6.5 lbs max you need to either cut a few inches of the barrel, have it recountoured like suggested earlier by Troy or have the barrel fluted.

I suggest you go to a Web that provides information like Shilen's so that you can see how much barrel thickness or contour affect weight on a barrel. Without knowing all the variables I can't tell you exactly how many inches you will need to cut off the barrel. I hope this helps you.
JarHeadTim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by JarHeadTim »

My question now becomes....If 26" is the preferred barrel length for the "Game"...Am I handicaping myself by shortening the barrel???
Semper Fi,

Tim
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Barrel lenght

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

I have build them anywhere from 24" to 25 1/2" anything longer than that you will run into trouble trying to make the 9 lbs. limit on the hunter class, you want a no.5 contour to start with , and the lenght pass 24" will depend on the stock, and the scope, bases, and rings.
Just like smallbore, most of the high power rifles that I build, are to be used on hunter, and standard class.
Evelio.
Evelio
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Tim, I would not say you would be handicapping yourself as long as the rifle felt balanced. If you end up with a 23 inch barrel that is OK but less than that for me would not be acceptable because you may then have trouble getting the velocity up to knock down rams, that is one reason people like longer barrels, some people claim that felt recoil is less with a longer barrel.

If the price is right buy the rifle and if it is a Rem 700 you can check Ebay and bid on the new varmint take off barrels people post there, I have seen several 24 and 26 inch barrels that sold for less than $100.00
morerams
B Poster
B Poster

Post by morerams »

I don't think actual barrel length is very important, anywhere from 23 to 28", ballistically it dosen't matter at the distances we shoot at what is more important is the balance and the way the rifle feels to you, and if it feels good you will hit more targets.
The rules limit the overall weight, how you distribute that weight is up to you and that is what will help you to a good score, it is a balancing act some muzzle heaviness can help and make the rifle comfortable to shoot but too much weight out front makes it an effort to hold the rifle up which make you tire sooner, not so important on a good day but on a windy day or when your hold is not so good you notice it.
JarHeadTim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by JarHeadTim »

10-4 Being a 3P Highpower Shooter I understand the importance of Balance...MY National Match AR-15 weighs 18 pounds and I shoot it "Just slightly muzzle heavy".

It appears that I won't be able to "Jam a square peg into the round hole" with my friends rifle, so I'm going to have to assemble a rifle for HP Sil.

Could someone explain to me the ultimate reasoning of building a rifle to fit Hunter Class in lieu of Heavy / Standard class?
Semper Fi,

Tim