No votes
20"
3%

Total votes: 29

steel_ram
B Poster
B Poster

Post by steel_ram »

sobrbiker883 wrote:I shoot a 20" 308. I use 180gr boolits at a mere 2550fps and haven't failed to put a ram down yet (that I've hit at least.....).
Bet ya that short barrelled 308 gets your neighbours attention too. :twisted:
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Andrew, I have been using the 6.5mm BR improved (Viking) going on 5 years with good results. If you have heard of the 6.5 mm TKS mine is almost the same with a bit more case capacity and I am plenty satisfied with the performance of the 6.5mm Viking on rams since I mainly use the 139 and144 gr. Lapua bullets.

My experience with the 7mm BR is somewhat limited and I have been experimenting with one I bought from a friend for only one year. The barrel was chambered with conventional 7mm BR reamers and I have no trouble with my ram loads although I had to trim and turn the necks on the Lapua 6mm BR brass I wanted to use for my ram loads so that they would fit on the chamber. I would not recommend a long throat because it may cause you to not have good accuracy with lighter bullets; I have used 130
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

Tony,
If the classes were going to be shot at different times then by all means the one rifle theory would work. In fact, I shot my Tikka .260 Hunter with a #4 fluted barrel in both classes this past year at the Nationals here in PA. I also found the article you were talking about. Here's the link for anyone who is interested. Thanks for the insight Tony. Mark Varner

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/in ... 292.0.html
dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

Lone ringer
Thank you for your reply. I read with considerable interest the thread on
the 7mmBR/TPP. I have been a believer in the 7BR for some years.
Actually since the late 80s early 90s when I shot a lot of hgun silhouette.
Do you have or can you recommend a source for cartridge dimension
pictures and reamers for this cartridge. How does the 7BR/TPP differ
from your 7BR/TKS if at all?
Thanks in advance
Andrew
Troy G
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Troy G »

Give me a shout at reneetroy@sasktel.net, I have reamer specs for the 6.5 Viking and TKS and the 7mm TKS. I have reamers for the 6.5 TKS and the 7mm TKS.

If you want a no muss no fuss cartridge that is going to do it all for you look at the 6.5x47 Lapua or Tubbs XC case. Shoot the Lapua case as either the 6.5 or 7mm and be really happy. The XC neck up to either 6.5 or 7mm and be equally happy.

In my opininon the 7mmBR does not have enough capacity to shoot the 175-180gr vlds fast enough to equal the wind drift of the 6.5 140gr bullet at the rams but it will equal or exceed the take down ability of the 6.5. IMHO, the improved cases based on the 6mmBR Lapua can do it all for you as well but some will argue not at safe pressure and you have to fire form which can easily be done at matches.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Andrew, good thing Troy has the information that you want handy because I don't . A friend of mind who is always thinking of cartridges to invent came up with the designs for what he called TKSX that had to be changed to Viking so as to prevent confusion with the TKS and I just borrowed the reamers and go no-go gauges from him.

I have to warn you that going to a BR improved cartridges like the TKS will involve you getting expensive dies, no problem is you do not mind but if you do not want to spend $150 for a set of custom dies go with the 6.5 BR or the 7mm BR both will do a good job for you. The 6.5 X 47, the 6.5mm IHMSA and 7mm IHMSA in my opinion are better choices of cartridges for shooting silhouettes to 500 meters specially if you do not want to have your bolt bushed to use with the TKS cartridges.
Troy G
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Troy G »

Lone Ringer brings up very good points I forgot to mention. I have been there and done that and forgot about the expense. To squeeze every bit of performance out of the BR case you need to have your firing pin hole bushed so you do not blank/pierce primers and then there is the die situation. Not a problem for a seater as you just get a smith to run the finish reamer into a Redding sleeved seater die in either 6.5 or 7mm depending on what you are shooting or buy a Wilson blank and run in with the finish reamer. For a re-size die you are talking custom. I had my TKS die made by Jim Carstensen of JLC Precision. Other people like Neil Jones and the Die companies can make you a custom as well but none are better than Jim's.