2 Stage Trigger Question...

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
skydiver41
B Poster
B Poster

2 Stage Trigger Question...

Post by skydiver41 »

Who makes a good 2 stage trigger for a Rem 700 and/or XP100?
Skydive:Take risks not to escape life...but to prevent life from escaping!
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

Anschutz.... 5022 or 5018. Use a smith with Briley hanger or Marv to get it on......
Image Chicken George
skydiver41
B Poster
B Poster

Post by skydiver41 »

Thanks Chicken. Where do I get these and what do they cost? Do I need a gunsmith to fit and install them?
Troy G
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Troy G »

If you are buying the trigger out right buy the 5022 Annie as that has the right springs for hunter weight. You will not be able to get the trigger heavy enough if you get a 5018 and will need to change the springs out.

The Annie trigger is pretty spendy and Briley adapter adds another 90.00 to the trigger. Do your self a favor and have Marvin Pearson machine the action right away, money well spent. You are going to have to open the trigger area quite a bit on your stock and then you are going to need to have a functioning safety as well. I need to put a Gentry saftey on mine to make it legal and they run 200.00. Not trying to scare you away but going to the Annie trigger could easily be a 500-600 or more dollar touch when it is all said and done.

Champion Shooters TRA-K700 Trigger + Adapter for Rem 700 Kit $400.00

Neal Johnson- Anschutz Trigger 5022 2-Stage 1500g $327.30 125022

Don't know what Marv charges to mill the Rem trigger but anything he does is done well . . . well except maybe for shooting. :D
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

You can save yourself some BIG bucks and buy a Jewell trigger for around $225.00. These are reliable "drop-in" triggers, used by many silhouette shooters. You can order them with a bolt stop and safety as accessories. I use them in my M-700 and 40X silhouette rifles, and on my Winchester M 70 "two-legged varmint" rifle. I've been using them for over 10 years, without problems. They only maintenance they require is a good cleaning with lighter fluid every now and then.

JB
Joaquin B
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I've actually thought about building up a hunter rifle from a Rem 700 and have pondered just this issue. The two choices do indeed seem to be an Anschutz 5022 with a hanger or a Jewell. I've used Jewell triggers on rifles for other disciplines but not for a silhouette rifle yet. Just how much better is the 5022 than the Jewell with bolt stop and safety? Is a Jewell 2-stage hunter-weight trigger like this actually available? I'd hate to relive building up a gun just to have to wait forever for the Jewell trigger that I want as I have done once in the past.

Hmm.. maybe I should just get one of the plastic-stocked Savage bolt guns with the Accutrigger and reshape the stock a bit and screw on a heavy tapered 260 Rem barrel myself. I could call it "Ghetto Fabulous" and blame it for all my misses. :lol:
Troy G
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Troy G »

Going with a Jewel would certainly not be a two stage trigger like the original poster asked about but they are nice triggers. Kelbly's are supposed to be working on a two stage trigger but do not know if it is going to be like the old Jewels or like the Annies. I know there is other two stage triggers out there that high power shooters are using but I don't know if they are Rem 700 compatible.

On all my rifles I have light triggers in the 1.5-ounce to a heavy 16 ounce. I found it really hard to go to a two pound plus trigger for hunter. My Hunter with Annie trigger is set at something like a 12 ounce second stage and a 26 ounce first stage. The Annie is a nice trigger but expensive.

Now I think I am going to get rid of my standard and shoot one gun in both classes once I get my Hunter legal. I am finding it too hard to get used to two guns and two triggers shooting two different cartridges.
skydiver41
B Poster
B Poster

Post by skydiver41 »

I have heard great things about the Kelby trigger, but it's not a 2 stage. I have a 2 stage in my SA M21 and my Les Baer AR15...that one has a 2 stage Jewell. I really like it and I'm used to it. The adjustments are very easy. I have the total weight set just under 2 lbs. I can pre-load the trigger, taking the slack out and get right to the wall...when I decide to break the shot there's no question about when it will go off. Since it's pre-loaded there in virtually no movement imparted from my hand to the rifle. I haven't yet mastered tapping a light trigger without moving the rifle. I wish Jewell made one for the 700.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Ugh.. I think I'd rather be uninformed than disappointed, and that last post changed me to disappointed. I was thinking of that exact 2-stage Jewell for the AR-15 that I was hoping for on a 700 action. Guess I'm back to the 5022 with a hanger or "Ghetto Fabulous" as my choices... :cry:
Troy G
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Troy G »

Skydiver, I am not talking about the trigger they released last year around the Super Shoot. Rumor has it they are working on a 2 stage trigger.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

Joaquin B wrote:You can save yourself some BIG bucks and buy a Jewell trigger for around $225.00. These are reliable "drop-in" triggers, used by many silhouette shooters. You can order them with a bolt stop and safety as accessories. I use them in my M-700 and 40X silhouette rifles, and on my Winchester M 70 "two-legged varmint" rifle. I've been using them for over 10 years, without problems. They only maintenance they require is a good cleaning with lighter fluid every now and then.

JB
Heck, I wasn't even thinking. If you want a good single stage fully adjustable trigger I sell both the Jewell and the Timney. I can sell you a unopened Timney for $135 shipped as I have one in stock (please let me confirm when I get home from vacation). Dist out of stock on the jewell.
Image Chicken George
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Jewell used to make a two-stage for the Rem 700 and I have one on my first HP silhouette rifle. Its performance, frankly, is not good. They never got good reviews. That's why Jewell quit making them.