B Poster

Post by kahuna »

Smallbore is 4th sunday.
Highpower is 1st sunday.
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

I think I'll have to mosey down there this Sunday then....
ImageImage
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

What a great time. I went down to Pe Ell with the idea of getting classified and seeing what's involved and getting to know some people. I had a blast.

I don't think I've ever tried to throw a bullet past 200 yds for any serious reason in my life and therefore didn't expect much when I lugged my faithful Swede m/96 and a sleeve of Yugo-import plinking ammo along. Wooster gave me a hand spotting, but within 15 rds I had all my animals sighted and burned the rest of the box knocking stuff over.

I then went off-hand and shot 9 & 11 / 40 with that 90 year old rifle and peep sights. (3 of my first animal (chickens) were still set at pigs when I started....and they looked good too! :lol: )

I was impressed with the old girl - she's still got lots of life in her and I think I'll do her up right with some handloads next month and give it another try. As much as I love SB, there's a lot to be said for tossing a 140gr pill out to 500m and watching a big 'ole ram fall over from iron sights.

Not my exact rifle, but the same setup.
ImageImage
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

mordecai wrote:What a great time. I went down to Pe Ell with the idea of getting classified and seeing what's involved and getting to know some people. I had a blast.

I don't think I've ever tried to throw a bullet past 200 yds for any serious reason in my life and therefore didn't expect much when I lugged my faithful Swede m/96 and a sleeve of Yugo-import plinking ammo along. Wooster gave me a hand spotting, but within 15 rds I had all my animals sighted and burned the rest of the box knocking stuff over.

I then went off-hand and shot 9 & 11 / 40 with that 90 year old rifle and peep sights. (3 of my first animal (chickens) were still set at pigs when I started....and they looked good too! :lol: )

I was impressed with the old girl - she's still got lots of life in her and I think I'll do her up right with some handloads next month and give it another try. As much as I love SB, there's a lot to be said for tossing a 140gr pill out to 500m and watching a big 'ole ram fall over from iron sights.

Not my exact rifle, but the same setup.

Now you're just bragging...LOL. Heck I was proud last match to shoot a 16/40 w/ my 700 7MM-08 w/ silhouette scope and hand loads...LOL.
Image Chicken George
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

Hehe - yea - if it's bragging - it's only about the rifle. I didn't think that was quite possible with such a setup. Makes me love my Swedes even more :wink:
ImageImage
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

I took some handloads out this month and gave it another whirl.

I pulled a 6 & 13. I didn't really have the loads "dialed-in" and it showed on the first relay. I was there more to just get additional experience and have some fun with high power and my Swede.

Thanks to all who offered and did help spot. There isn't much "follow-up" with iron sights other than to see if you hit anything! HAHA
ImageImage
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

Well - I think I'll just recycle this thread. :)

Mr. Imas graciously let me borrow a high power rifle so I could try this discipline with something other than iron sights!

What Dave neglected to tell me was that he was handing me what I like to call, the "Sako Death Ray".

This "newbie" had some difficulty figuring out the parallax and reading the turret numbers (I threw 10 shots at the rams while off by a full MOA) - all due to inexperience and not being familiar - quite normal I'm hoping. :wink:

But on the relay where I did get the numbers set, I shot a AAA score! Steve is looking up the rule on how to figure classification of a B shooter who shoots a AAA score. :shock:

Credit goes to the "Death Ray", Dave for his expert tutiledge and reloading skills 8), and Gary for spotting my sight-in so I didn't hit dirt all day.

This is an addictive discipline and I think I'm glad it only runs about 6 months out of the year - that's a lot of reloading to squeeze into my schedule.
ImageImage
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

You're killing me with this, Mike. I want to shoot high power but don't exactly love the through of driving 3+ hours each way to get to Pe Ell. :lol:
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

Well, the season has been wrapped up with last weekend's State Championship. I can say two things about this glorious sport. It's expensive and it's the best. :D Looking forward to next year!
ImageImage
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

What kind of scores did you get in the matches? If you went from B to AAA in one month, you went straight to master the next month, right? :)
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

Nope, I finished up in A & AA. Not cheap or convenient enough to practice sufficiently to get better!!! :wink:

You have to figure about $20 for 60 rds of ammo per 40/shot match. Two matches/month (Hunter & Standard).

Plus 120 mile round trip/month - that's $20 in gas.

Match fee's are $10/gun.

You're looking at $80 to shoot a monthly match - no practice!

Maybe in a few years, eh? Or just shoot a lot more smallbore....
ImageImage
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Yeah.. as much as I really want to shoot that match, I'd have to add a couple hundred miles to the round trip there and the cost of a gun to your list there. I'm still saying that I'll get to it next year or the year after, though. I just need to find one of those Sakos like Dave has in 6.5 Swede. :)
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day All
I'm interested in this thread for two reasons. Number one is that here in Australia we shoot a "Service Rifle" match and some of the shooters are rather impressive using a as issued general service rifle, our rules are at www.ssaa.org.au and just follow the prompts. The second reason is travel, the shooters from my home state ( Tasmania) have a two hour plane trip followed by 4 hours in a car to shoot centrefire or we can take the other option which is 2 1/2 hrs drive to the ferry, overnight on that then seven hours to drive to Canberra. But we are close compared to some other Aussies. Sometimes living in a big broad land isn't so good!
Juddy